• Register Today It's free!

misfire, sputter, need help

wrigley_1285

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Sport
here's the story my truck had started sputtering, or misfiring anytime. it'd happen while driving down the road or sitting at a stop light or parked running at any rpm. it started out to where you could just barely tell that it was happening to where it was starting to get very bad and i thought it was just going to die. i checked all my plug wires and they were all still in great shape. the wires and plugs are only about a year and a half old. i also replaced the fuel filter around the same time i changed the plugs and wires.

i use only shell gasoline in all of my vehicles. the other day when it was starting to run really bad i decided to try something. i filled my truck up from empty with shell premium. and as soon as i started it back up it ran perfect like it did before. and ever since i filled it up its ran fine and never misfired or sputtered or anything.

my question is wtf? what was causing the sputter? i know i need to change my fuel filter and plugs. but what else can i do to prevent it from sputtering anymore?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Change the filter again. Have you had to change your intake man gaskets yet?

Shell is the "pro clean v power" right? Ever used seafoam?

yeah, shell is v power and suppose to clean your engine. i usually try to run sea foam through the gas about once a month but it has been a couple months since the last time i remembered to do it. i haven't changed the gaskets, is there a write up some where on how to do that.

I just saw that you have the OHV. Might start her and spray carefully around the manifold with some starting fluid or propane if you have a place to work where it won't disperse so fast(wind) if you get an RPM jump you have a leak. Anyway the intake gaskets on the ohc are notorious for leaking.

You might do a search on here on how to run some seafoam through more of the engine.

Try this for the gasket how to
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171819

after reading that i think that's what is wrong with my truck. the reason i say that is bc my check engine light is on and giving the same codes as his. i'm gonna have to make some time to change those out.

i usually run sea foam through the vacuum system once a year and it's fun to piss off the old lady next door with the smoke show. lol.

thanks alot for the help. after i get some time to do this i'll let you know if it worked or not.

Yeah the smoke is good for the ole neighbors. Good luck and no prob for the info. TIL

Back