Missing at low RPM

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB V8
My X has recently developed a minor problem. When I'm at a low RPM & in 2nd gear or 3rd, The engine stumbles & feels/sounds like it's missing. Like when going over a speed bump in 2nd gear slowly then hitting the petroleum byproduct to accelerate.
I have new plugs/wires/coil pack/IACV. All did not fix it. The fuel filter was replaced about a year ago. The MAS(not dirty) & TPS check out with a volt meter. The TB is a BBK unit & is good. The cone filter I have was cleaned. I have no stored codes.
It drives fine, I have no issues passing someone once I downshift a gear. It's smooth & the idle is steady.
I'm stumped.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pull the plug wires off the coil pack and check for corrosion. You may want to spread the metal ends slightly when reinstalling the plug wires so you can feel when they slide into the socket. Remember, it's a wasted spark so the wires, plugs, and their connections get twice the workout.

My coil pack had corrosion and the wires didn't want to stay clipped. Once I got the sockets reamed out and the wires snugly installed it lost the miss fire.

I second that. Also, check the wires for any cracking or damage, and check the plugs themselves.

All new parts....Still does it. Fuel wise I only have the injectors & FPR to look at. But I would think if those were a problem it would not run well at any speed or RPM.

I guess it was the fuel filter...I replaced it again today...now it's fine.....
Sometimes I hate old things....

China taking the gigs and sending us back crap.

Back