• Register Today It's free!

Missing Engine

simmons1

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Sport 4x4
I know, laugh... missing engine. No my engine is not pysically missing. It has a bad stumble under acceleration. I am going to check the spark plugs and was wondering what I might see if one of them is the culprit? Would it be covered in carbon, gummed up, etc? Also how do I check the coil pack?
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it is a misfire, it is only a matter of time until the check engine light comes on and set a code that will help to identify the cylinder that is missing. Are you sure that it's a misfire, and not just a hesitation?? A dirty MAF sensor can cause a really wild hesitation.

I second the MAF.

I cleaned the MAF in the fall, I doubt it is the culprit but cleaning it is cheap and easy. So I will try it again.

A little more info on the problem: The hesitation occurs only in heavy acceleration. Idle is solid. Normal highway driving is perfect. 108,000 miles and coil pack has never been replaced. Spark plugs and wires were replaced at 55,000 miles.

How many miles are on it now?

Fuel pressure regulator?

Check the oxy sensors, I just cut the wire on one of mine in lew of changing them hopefully tomorrow, and the engine seems sluggish and hesitant, because of the unregulated default fuel mixture.

Back