• Register Today It's free!

Need help with Missing Engine

Mike Go

Reaction score
City, State
Festus Mo.
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Xlt
I have a problem with a miss in my 4.0, it has 80,000 miles and when I first start up I'm fine but after I drive and get it warmed up, shut it off for maybe 5 to 10 minutes and start it back up it misses at idle speeds until it fully warms up again but if I run the RPM,s up it dosen't miss. Just at idle speed.
Has anyone got any clues?
Thanks Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This has nothing to do about your problem, but you title is hilarious. Yes, a missing engine is quite a problem. Ok, I've been laughing too too much lately!!

Have the plugs and plug wires ever been changed?

I hear ya IAmTodd, I thought Mike should call 911 & report that.
Mike, have you replaced the spark plugs & wires? With 80K on the meter thats the first place I would start. Motorcraft Double Paltnum plugs and some new wires should do the trick. Personally I have been happy with NAPA or AutoZone wires.

Hay...Alec beat me.

Advanced Auto has wires for $30. Had no trouble with them either. I'd agree with sticking to Motorcraft plugs, cheap and all ya need!

My 1994 Explorer does this too

I have the exact same problem just described. I thought it was the transmission. I've replaced the coil pack, the idle air valve, checked all vacuum lines and even tried premium gas. I have 96k miles on the original plugs and wires. Mine starts fine when cold or if it has been sitting for over 20 minutes, but if I stop for gas - fill it up, make a quick run to the bathroom then come back and start it, the engine shakes like it's misfiring. If I put it in gear and under load, it quickly clears up and runs okay. If I just let it idle and misfire, it will keep doing it for a while. I have new double platinum plugs and will get new ford wires - but I'd like to know if this really sounds like the plugs or the wires. My reasoning is that a spark plug or wire would misfire more under load than just idling and I'd expect it to be worse when cold. Am I wrong? Did the original guy posting about this try new plugs/wires and did it fix it? If so, I'll change mine this weekend. I know it doesn't hurt to change them after being used for as long as mine has, but I've spend a lot of money on other parts that had the same miles and it didn't fix it (like the coil pack).

Dennis

Mine turned out to be the spark plugs. I changed them and the problem stopped. The plugs were all in good shape but the gap had erroded to be wider than the spec called for.

Back