Missing Part? Firewall Insulation - 2021 Explorer Platinum | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing Part? Firewall Insulation - 2021 Explorer Platinum

Pedro504

2021 Platinum
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Platinum
My 2021 Explorer Platinum does not have the insulation/sound deadoning blanket installed. Needless to say the engine noise is very noticeable under acceleration. At this point it's the noisiest vehicle I've ever owned.
My build date was Sept 9, 2021. I took delivery on Sept 28th.
Has anyone else had this issue? I'm also wondering how this gets installed now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2021 Explorer Platinum does not have the insulation/sound deadoning blanket installed. Needless to say the engine noise is very noticeable under acceleration. At this point it's the noisiest vehicle I've ever owned.
My 2020 Platinum is really loud under acceleration. Complaining didn't do me any good. Took a test drive in a Lincoln Nautilus recently...It's a different world, primarily because of heavy insulation everywhere under the hood.

Obviously you never owned anything older lol if you think a 2.3 is loud now. Try it back when you barely had a sound system to drown out the sound, or you had a v8 with a cut off exhaust big whoop dude. blast your stereo or take it in if it's that concerning.

Obviously you never owned anything older lol if you think a 2.3 is loud now. Try it back when you barely had a sound system to drown out the sound, or you had a v8 with a cut off exhaust big whoop dude. blast your stereo or take it in if it's that concerning.
Platinums come with a V6 3.0, I would say they're probably quieter than the 4cyl 2.3 lol

OP, could you possibly mistake it for the fake engine noise coming from the speakers? Yes, it is a thing. No, you cant disable it without Forscan. Setting it under eco mode lowers the fake sound but its still there coming from your speakers.

Platinums come with a V6 3.0, I would say they're probably quieter than the 4cyl 2.3 lol

OP, could you possibly mistake it for the fake engine noise coming from the speakers? Yes, it is a thing. No, you cant disable it without Forscan. Setting it under eco mode lowers the fake sound but its still there coming from your speakers.
Thats a thought right there! One thing I will say for certain forscan is a godsend for stupiditys such as these types.( I'm looking at you auto stop and start.)

I believe only the ST has that fake sound and then only when in Sport mode or whatever it is called.

Peter

Thats a thought right there! One thing I will say for certain forscan is a godsend for stupiditys such as these types.( I'm looking at you auto stop and start.)
Your 2000 Explorer has Stop/Start?

Your 2000 Explorer has Stop/Start?
Lol no my parents 2020 ranger did lol they hated it had forscan already downloaded for my 00 and went for it

I believe only the ST has that fake sound and then only when in Sport mode or whatever it is called.

Peter
No, FENG is on all three trims, Platinum, ST and King Ranch. It gets louder on Sport mode but its there in Normal, Sport and slightly on Eco.

My 3.0 PIU has neither firewall insulation, nor fake engine noise, but it seems reasonably quiet under throttle...

The dealership indicated that Platinum Explorers do not have an insulation/sound deadening blanket on the firewall. The engine noise is considered normal. They also said Platinum explorers do not have enhanced engine sounds or active noise control.
Yeah, dont always go by what the dealer says. A ton of times they're clueless to what's going, usually get more accurate info through the forums than through them.

Try it yourself, go on Eco mode, floor it, then try it on Sport mode. Put the windows up and turn off your stereo so you can get a good proper hearing of the difference. It's very noticeable.

What size wheels and tires are on your PIU? I suspect much of the road noise is coming from the P275/45 R21s on mine.
255/60/18 Eagle Enforcers.

Back