Missing part on spare tire carrier? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing part on spare tire carrier?

Good morning - I have a 93 exp Sport. I had a flat over the weekend and had to use the spare tire. After fixing the flat a day later, I went to put the spare back and the cable broke right a the plug that rests against the buckle that sits against the rim. The plug has rubber around it and the wire going thru it is rusted ... actually the whole plug is rusted so I can't use it ... The cable itself going up into the winch looks fine. Any suggestions here ? The fasteners holding down the winch are rust welded to the cross member. I really do not want to attempt to replace the winch.

Any thoughts here ?

Thank you - John

Maybe you could use a little "U" shaped clamp to fix it? It may be possible to loop twice around the U shaped piece.

I removed the old part .. I'm glad to have the impact sockets for removing the old bolts that have been on there 28+ years. I ordered a refurbished winch from Ebay which included bolts. Expecting it any day. Since this is what is holding the rim/tire, I do not want any issues. Thank you for your input.

Back