• Register Today It's free!

mixing different wattage subs

Saleen_SR71

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 EB 5.0
well i wanted to add more subs to stereo system... right now i got 2 subs that are 1000watts peak each. i was thinking of adding 2 more subs that are 500watts peak each, then if i could, possibly add 2 more subs that are i think 250 watts each. all the subs will be 12's and they are taking up room in my room so i want to either use them or sell them, or even use them then sell them.

my amp is the Visonik V900hc and its rated at 1000watts rms x 2

would there be a problem with the subs since they all require different ammounts of power?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thatll sound like ass....lol, keep to the same brand,model subs....

I would never mix anything. Same exact model and brand, and you're guarenteed absolute brilliant results. Mixing your frequencies is just asking for trouble. Have to say, I sure as hell don't have the time to fine tune that stuff. ;)

well the subs i got in there right now hit some frequencies hella good, and the other subs i was using hit the frequencies that these dont hit very hard hard. so i was thinking if i used both brands of subs i would hit all the frequencies hard. i still want to try it out... maybe itll be a good mix match with the subs.

i remember using a 12 and a 10, one was a 12" Hollywood and the other was a 10" Diamond Mac Daddy. it sounded good even with the cheap amp i had, the Mac Daddy hit the frequencies above 65 good but anything below sounded like crap, and the other sub hit the lower frequencies.

i could tune it, just not fine tune it because i dont have the equipment to do it.

im the only person in my family that trys different stuff with my stereo because i got soo much audio equipment available to me because i bought a crap load and have nothing to do with it. and also someone on another forum dissed my under $200 Bump... it was about $150 for 2 12's in a box, with an amp; and he had spent the same on 1 10" a box and an amp. he hella hated on me, he said "this isnt the cheapest piece of **** stereo, its good bump for under $200 " so i still posted my results and havent heard from him since. i got props for stealling his post and making him shut up.

u can do it..but itl take alot of figuring and ud have to get to know external x-overs really well..aswell as probably time delay..IMHO not worth the time just buy some 15s =)

yeah i want my S15's... or even some Brahmas. They will come sooner or later, the 12's i got right now are coo (i was toying with it a little today), especially with the bass boost all the way down, they seem to be hitting the frequencies more. i think i should put my sub crossover back in to add a little more umph to the subs all around frequencies.

probably just going to add 2 more of the same subs since i got another pair lying around. the only problem im going to have is trying to figure out how to wire the subs so that i dont blow my amp. im thinking wiring the subs in parallel and connecting the terminals in serries... dont know what impedance i would get, but i know its not less than 1. what would it be?(subs are dual 4ohm)

I got two audiobahn tens, 600 watts rms and a twelve, 1500 watts rms all running off one 1600 watt amp. I took a big gamble but sounds great. Like you were sayin, the different subs hit different freq's so you get a variety.

well i added 2 more subs (500w each) and got a great result... i got cleaner bass, and for some reason the power seemed to increase too. so now my amp is running 1.333 ohms per channel. on some songs i have to turn the bass boost all the way down. and i could say it solved my problem of my battery dropping 7 volts with the hard hits because i no longer need to put the bass boost as high.

Saleen_SR71 said:
yeah i want my S15's... or even some Brahmas. They will come sooner or later, the 12's i got right now are coo (i was toying with it a little today), especially with the bass boost all the way down, they seem to be hitting the frequencies more. i think i should put my sub crossover back in to add a little more umph to the subs all around frequencies.

probably just going to add 2 more of the same subs since i got another pair lying around. the only problem im going to have is trying to figure out how to wire the subs so that i dont blow my amp. im thinking wiring the subs in parallel and connecting the terminals in serries... dont know what impedance i would get, but i know its not less than 1. what would it be?(subs are dual 4ohm)
connectin them parallel will give you 1 ohm mono. or bridged. paralel and series would be 2 ohm each speaker, or channel.

IMO mixing subs is fine as long as they are on seperate amps. I am running 1 JL 12w3 and two JL 12w0's. the 0's are on one amp and the 3 has its own.

You'll eventually blow those lower wattage subs if they are all on the same amp.

JL 3x12 Xplorer said:
IMO mixing subs is fine as long as they are on seperate amps. I am running 1 JL 12w3 and two JL 12w0's. the 0's are on one amp and the 3 has its own.

You'll eventually blow those lower wattage subs if they are all on the same amp.

your probably right, but i could get the lower wattage subs for 33 bucks each, saves me 37 bucks from buying them from a stereo shop. but i aint trippen about them.

Saleen_SR71 said:
your probably right, but i could get the lower wattage subs for 33 bucks each, saves me 37 bucks from buying them from a stereo shop. but i aint trippen about them.
If you rrun them serires you wont blow them.

Back