Moonroof shade won't close fully and tilt/slide doesn't work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moonroof shade won't close fully and tilt/slide doesn't work

saranghae

Reaction score
City, State
PA/NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
Just picked up my 2013 explorer, and the moonroof functions seemed to have stopped working!

1) The shade works fine for the back half of the moonroof, retract and extend, but doesn't want to cover the front half.
2) If I go into the relearn mode, the shade works fine (full back and full forward). But once I get out of the relearn mode, it only does the back half. This is telling me that the motor is fine.
3) Even when I have the shade fully retracted, the tilt/slide functions don't seem to work.

Has anyone seen these sets of symptoms and figured out what the cause is? Are these two different issues (tilt/side and shade)? I'm hoping its not a moonroof motor. Thanks!

My guess is that the motor for the moonroof itself is not working. Have you checked fuse #8 (20A) in the engine bay? Ther is also a #38 (10A) in the cabin fuse box shown as Moonroof but I'm thinking it may be for the shade. For some reason, it seems that the shade won't fully close if the other motor isn't working.

Peter

Back