• Register Today It's free!

More Body Lift ?'s

JMT1SOMR

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, TN * Oxford, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Ok, ok, I know you're all SICK of hearing questions about body lifts for a 95+ but I'm seriously thinking baout installing a 2" BL in the near future. I've been doing searchers on it however, and the PA lift seems to be ok w/ the exception of the steering shaft extension. Does anyone else make a body lift that can be slightly modified for my X? I decidded not to f**k w/ the PA kit (for obvious reasons) but I'm still interested. Any help is appreciated, greatly. :confused:

Thanks,
-Justin

P.S. - Dead Link Removed (my truck)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PA is the way to go if you are getting a body lift. Don't bother getting the 2"...you'll be disapointed. The kit with everything you need, including the steering shaft extension is the 853 kit. That is the 3" Ranger kit. PA does not make a 95+ kit for the Explorer. The 2" kit you saw is for the 90-94's and won't work for the 95+. I have installed close to a dozen PA kits so I speak from experience. PA has a superior kit. Like I said, the kit you want is #853, the only thing that won't work are the front bumper brackets, those you will have to have made. The #883(98-01) kit has the correct front bumper brackets, but unfortunately PA does not sell these items seperately. Also, if they ask when you order, you are buying for your Ranger, if you say Explorer they won't sell it to you. I know of this happening with a few people.

If you have any questions before you order or during install email me.

o1sport@hotmail.com

Matt

I want to do a BL, too. Where can I buy a kit online for my 1996? Lift for 95-97 are scarce.

-RB

Originally posted by RedBeard
I want to do a BL, too. Where can I buy a kit online for my 1996? Lift for 95-97 are scarce.

-RB
You also want the 853 kit(95-97). Again, these kits are for the Ranger, but the ranger and X use the same basic platform.

You get the PA kit at any 4wheel parts outlet, your best bet is to call and give the part #.

Good luck,
Matt

Actually you can just buy the bumper lift brackets from the 883 kit. Several people have done it. They run about $35 for the set but again don't say they are for your Explorer. Say something like you ran into something with your Ranger and need replacement bumper brackets. I believe the people that have got the bumper brackets got them directly from PA. I know when I tried getting them through Offroad Warehouse they told me they called PA and they were told that they couldn't get just the lift brackets. I do know that some people here have had sucess getting them though.

Let's pretend... Let's pretend that I got the PA body lift for my 96. Let's just say that I got the bumper brackets from the 883 kit... All is well at this point, right?

Are there any other spooky mods or changes to be made with this Ranger kit? I have an automatic tranny. Anything to do with any linkages (except the steering... I've studied up on that)? Gas lines? Tranny lines?

I really want a 3" BL, but I'm not one for fabricating parts. Bolt on and go... that's for me.

-RB

Am I right in guessing that a BL does NOT raise the center of gravity as much as a suspension lift?

Originally posted by RedBeard
Let's pretend... Let's pretend that I got the PA body lift for my 96. Let's just say that I got the bumper brackets from the 883 kit... All is well at this point, right?

Are there any other spooky mods or changes to be made with this Ranger kit? I have an automatic tranny. Anything to do with any linkages (except the steering... I've studied up on that)? Gas lines? Tranny lines?

I really want a 3" BL, but I'm not one for fabricating parts. Bolt on and go... that's for me.

-RB

Am I right in guessing that a BL does NOT raise the center of gravity as much as a suspension lift?

You are lifting the body so everything stays where it is, fuel lines, tranny lines..etc. The tranny shift cable will be stiff for a while, but loosens up after about a month. Nothing major, you will be able to shift normaly. THe only thing you need to adjust are the brake lines coming from the ABS motor. The instructions tell you what needs to be done. Nothing is kept a secret.

Check out my site for more info.

http://mudmarine.tripod.com/

I didn't run in to any of that on my '97. The only thing I did have to do was relocate my parking brake cable where it goes through the frame mount at the front. It doesn't matter if you are doing a 2" lift or a 3" lift, the work is going to be the same. You still have to lift the bumpers (if you want it to look right). Everything else is pretty much the same. Some people have gotten by without putting on the steering extension on the 2" but to put it on is only a 5 minute job. If you want the 3" you're better off getting it than putting th 2" on and wishing you would have done the 3". There isn't enough added work with the 3" to warrant getting the 2".

I installed the #853 on my 95 and didn't have any problems. I even used the brackets for the front bumper, with some modification to the factory brackets, to raise it. The steering extension was the easiest part of the lift, it only took 5 minutes to install. The one reason I almost did not buy the BL was because of a lot of the threads on this board seemed to be negative about the steering extension working and I couldn't be without my EX because I had to get to work. As long as you pay attention and take your time it is a fairly easy project to do.

Back