• Register Today It's free!

more questions on mods

Josef86

Reaction score
City, State
Merrimack, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
I have already decided to upgrade the shocks and get a computer tune from doug over at bamachips. Now my I have a questions on headers. It looks like JBA makes a set for the 4.0L SOHC and are sold over at Explorer Express. I already have the CAI and the exhaust as breather mods done, would moving to headers get me any gains worth spending the money on prior to getting the computer tune?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im not all that sure, but from everything I've read the stock manifold flows pretty well on the sohc so gains from adding headers are probably negligable. You might want to think about a larger throttlebody if you haven't already and are still looking to improve the induction system.

I have also looked into doing headers. I read a thread on them and decided not to get them due to the fact that you are paying a few hundred dollars for a few horsepower. It really is not worth the money. If you do however buy headers and also want to tune with Doug, I suggest you buy the headers first. Doug tunes vehicles with all modified parts included on the vehicle for optimum results. If you tune then get headers....You will have to retune again anyway.

I know for fact I want to tune with Doug. I have only heard good things about him. I just think it may be a while because he seems a but busy. However, I am looking into what the best bolt on mods are. I know for fact I am going with the CL MAF, I read the write up about the 89 tune with the CL MAF showing numbers on par with the 91/93 tune. Now with a TB what could I expect? My search has shown headers to yeild about 3rwhp. Not that bad bad as a bolt on but for the amount of money to get that 3.....it may be a while.

Def. throttle body/spacer

Where could i find a TB and spacer for my SOHC?

I was wondering when you would say something..

Hahaha, thanks man. A buddy of mine just upgraded his 5.0 TB so i am going to procure his stock one.

Back