Most dramatic before/afters ever? (dial-up warning) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Most dramatic before/afters ever? (dial-up warning)

Well ok maybe not, but pretty dramatic too... My goodness, the truck has been through many phases. Here she is the day I picked her up.
phase1.jpg

Added the airdam and started putting some PIAAs on:
phase2.jpg

Put a brush guard on, and mounted some PIAA 80's on it.
phase3.jpg

Installed a rollbar with, of course, some PIAA 80's on it. Moved PIAA 520's to brush guard. Swapped out the chrome nerf bars for some black Westins.
phase4.jpg

Got some new flares, new lights on the brushguard, and some other goodies here and there.
phase5.jpg

Got some Lincoln Wheels, replaced the old euro brushguard with the fabtech, got all the tubular stuff line-x'ed, got some new PIAA's on the prerunner and a few other goodies.
phase6.jpg

Then, for a long time...

Nothing dramatic happened...

Until one day, in April 2004, when a hail storm came through and turned this beautifal truck into a pimpled, unattractive, beast.

The options were, have it fixed and brough to original shape, sell it, or do something wild...

I chose...

To do something wild...

And thus the project took form...

First, we undertook some massive disassembly, taking this off, bondo'ing the dents, primering over the bondo, sanding things down.
primer2.jpg

Things were further disassembled, body was completely bondoed, primered, and ready to be painted...
apart1.jpg

After many months, the paint transformation was nearing its end. The damaged hood was replaced with a Fiberglass Fabricators Hood, the roof repaired. The front fender, replaced and repainted. The bumper cover replaced. Hail damage on doors, bed, and tailgate was repaired. The truck was sprayed Lustre Gray, and the paint job began to take form.
flames2.jpg

flames4.jpg

Slowly but surely, things began taking form. Windows were reinstalled (including new windshield to replace damaged one, new power sliding rear window to replace manual sliding power window), trim was slowly reapplied, and taillights were reinstalled.
flames6.jpg

flames7.jpg

Over the stressful few days before the SEMA Show, things picked up a hurried pace. Skyjacker 6" lift was installed, BF Goodrich 35" tires were mounted on centerline wheels and installed, new brakes were installed, bumpers reinstalled, new airdam installed, bumper cap reinstalled, custom rear bumper (that had been sitting in my basement for over a year) was finally painted and installed. Rollbar was reinstalled, prerunner was reinstalled. Lights were hooked up again. new Grizzly double-bend nerf bars were installed. CR Laurence power sliding rear window was hooked up. New Nifty products carpet was installed. new Xtreme Catch-all floormats were installed. Custom wiper nozzle mod was completed. New PIAA Horns were installed. Emblems from 2004 F-150 were installed in place of old ratty ones. The truck switched from fog lights in the airdam to driving lights, sporting new grills. It was only missing a few parts, but it was getting there.
flames10.jpg

flames11.jpg

Finally the truck began to take its final form. The lightning grill and grill shell (grill painted to match the flames) was installed. Factory fender flares were painted and reinstalled. Mock hood scoop was painted ot match the flames and installed. Custom Sportmasters tonneau cover was installed. Vehicle was aligned. Things were good.
flames12.jpg

flames13.jpg

tonneau1.jpg

tonneau2.jpg

And next week the truck will be on display for the SEMA Show 2004! WOOHOO!!!! Hope to see everyone there!

Anyone see the truck at SEMA? :)

Matt,

I think you need some more lights on your truck for those really, really dark nights... ;)

I am totally diggin the new paint scheme and lift.

Very nice :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

suprised i never saw this. looks one billion times better dude love the bumper a lot.

Back