most miles on an auto tranny? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

most miles on an auto tranny?

91 XLT 2 wd with 210K with regular changes. Switched to Amsoil a few months ago and added a remote filter. No probs to date and had regular 25K mile service and filter changes. 70% highway

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

91 XLT 4x4 with about 118k on it and no problems. It might have been flushed before, but it would have been before I bought it (I bought it with 103k on it). It's been a mix of both city and highway, but I'd say mostly highway. I'm probably tearing the hell out of it now since I haven't gotten the money to change the gears, but it's still going strong.

110,000 now and haven't had any problems, except that in the past 5k 1-2 has started to shift hard. I'm sure now delivering pizza will accentuate the wear :(

One of my friends has a 96' XLT with 156k and it was fine until about 2 weeks ago when he started having problems with a blinking O/D light and now O/D won't engage...

92 just shy of 130,000 miles, been flushed once and had the fluid and filter changed once.
Still shifts firmly, but i must admit since i've found out the trannys are weak i have tended to drive it very carefully. i can't afford a trannny rebuild

94 xlt tranny 206000 miles and still going strong flushed i think once and has pulled a trailer 60000 miles of the time

181,000 miles, and I have only changed the fluid and filter once, and the modulator valve, torque converter doesn't lock up right though.:confused:

My wife's '94 has 147K on it, she got it from her brother who bought it new, as far as I know the tranny oil has never been changed. It has seen very little use as a tow vehicle. Alot of short trips, one to ten miles, one or two long trips, 100 miles plus, per month. I glad to hear others have high mileage auto transmisions. I was beginning to worry about mine also.

the trans. in my 99 crapped out at 18k along with the drive shafts and differentials.

BTW: although it was my beater, i didn't beat on it.

Back