Moved to Hot Climate, brakes are making horrible squeaking/squeeling noise.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moved to Hot Climate, brakes are making horrible squeaking/squeeling noise....

King$nake

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0
Just had the front and rear brakes done a few months ago. Everything has been fine. A few weeks ago I moved to Los Angeles and the weather has been atleast 90 degrees every day here. When I drive my explorer around, the brakes are squeeling and squeeking horribly, especially at low speeds. When I apply pressure to the brakes, the noise dissapears. Its only when there is no pressure on pedal when the squeal, often from 5-45 mph. What the hell is causing it? Rotors and pads look fine. Do I have dirty brakes? Too much brake dust?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just had the front and rear brakes done a few months ago. Everything has been fine. A few weeks ago I moved to Los Angeles and the weather has been atleast 90 degrees every day here. When I drive my explorer around, the brakes are squeeling and squeeking horribly, especially at low speeds. When I apply pressure to the brakes, the noise dissapears. Its only when there is no pressure on pedal when the squeal, often from 5-45 mph. What the hell is causing it? Rotors and pads look fine. Do I have dirty brakes? Too much brake dust?

I have seen the pads be a bit too large so that the edge is beyond the rotor. With wear that creates an overhang that rubs and squeaks.

It can also be the result of severe overheating of the rotor causing it to warp,
maybe if towing down a long grade. Normally though, you will get some pulsing when applying the brakes at speed.

Another thing to check is that the caliper pistons are returning. If those were not changed or rebuilt and have a lot of miles, they could be hanging up and keeping too much pressure on the rotors. That will also cause higher fuel consumption. Jack it up and see if the wheels turn freely.

"Had the Brakes done", what exactly was done?

If you still cant figure it out I would replace the pads first. Its very easy and you should be able to get a set for around $20 (20 min. job). Start with the cheap stuff. If and when you do, see if the pads are worn uneavenly (it will look like a downhill slope on one pad), that will also tell you if the calibers are hangin up on you.

I just had recent squealing problems and a new set of pads fixed it. The squeal drove me nuts.

doh! im such a dummy I just realized the front brakes I recently replaced, the back brakes (the ones that are making the sound) are the ones that need to be replaced

going to autozone now

Yep, sqealers on the pads going off do what you described. At least they do in my neck of the woods.

David

Back