Moderator Emeritus Elite Explorer ECX Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4Runner SR5
Next Mustang Cobra Has Corvette, Viper in Crosshairs

Engineers from Ford Motor Company's Special Vehicle Engineering operations are working at a feverous pace to ready the next iteration of the range topping Mustang Cobra, dubbed the "Terminator" by insiders.

The car in this photograph shows exterior changes like new wheels and reshaped rocker panels borrowed from the Bullit Mustang GT. Under the camouflage there is a new hood, front bumper fascia and rear spoiler.

But the big news for this car is under the hood. The current Cobra’s 320 horsepower 4.6 liter DOHC V8 will be joined with a supercharger to produce in excess of 400 horsepower in a bid to run with the Dodge Viper and Chevrolet Corvette as America’s performance kings.

http://pc99.detnews.com/autosinsider/sneakpeek/index.hbs?myrec=1

Attachments

• mustangterminator.jpg
    mustangterminator.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 391

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know why they don't just put a bigger engine in it and then super charge or twin turbo it. But they are the engineers not me. Hopefully it'll stay with those two.

From what i know plans are aiming towards production, although rumors are also circulating about a possible blower option for GTs and Cobra in 2004.

they oughta drop in the 5.4 Lightining engine. that thing would fly! ha, that reminds me, i saw a ricer mustang tonight, REALLY FUNNY! its was a regular mustang w/drop the 15" rims, dual exhaust, GT sticker and a big red R under it. STUPIDEST thing ever!

Originally posted by TarHeel085
they oughta drop in the 5.4 Lightining engine. that thing would fly! ha, that reminds me, i saw a ricer mustang tonight, REALLY FUNNY! its was a regular mustang w/drop the 15" rims, dual exhaust, GT sticker and a big red R under it. STUPIDEST thing ever!

ive seen a old Fox Body ,with a lightning engine, and yes that things would fly

There's a guy in Austin that has a V6/GT/Saleen Stang. It's the base V6 model with GT graphics and Saleen body stuff. Oh, and he has intake and exhaust done :p

Leeme just say he got his car lightly dusted on the highway....... :)

If a Stang is done right they look good, but IMO that is one of the cars that HAS to be performance modded if you have "pretty" mods.

For what I heard, they already put the 5.4 in the limited production Cobra R. This Stang had the performance of the Z06 Corvette and the M3 Bimmer. Performance was the goal from the starting point on this Mustang. I think it was 385hp, 0-60 4.4, 1/4 - 12.9 and 1.01 G's. If is not equal to those mentioned before it is better. The price was around 54K's and only 300 were built. If Ford goes ahead and produce a GT with performance near the vette or the bimmer around the same price the current GT is going for, I'll be there in line asking for my GT

The 5.4 Lightining motor isn't fast as it is in the truck. It only run's mid 9's in the 1/8th and like 14's in the 1/4 mile. That isn't to fast and them trucks come with 3.73's. They would have to do some more work to it personally. Oh yeah BTW the Viper has over 600 horses so Ford has it work cut out for them. The bad thing is i'm a Stang freak and I don't even think they will pull this one off. The BMW M3 only run 13.3 in the 1/4 also. The new 00-01 stangs already run near that if not a little faster. I think they actually pull off a mid 12. Not sure yet though.

Back