MUTINEER II: New Project Yet to be Named | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MUTINEER II: New Project Yet to be Named

Mutineer

Reaction score
City, State
Ardmore, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT 4X4
Callsign
FLOYD
So I’m finally back on my feet and can take on a new project: MUTINEER II. Though I havent really settled on a name for it yet. Starting with a 1997 Explorer 4x4 with the 4.0L for the Drivetrain donor. The Body Donor is a white 1996 Explorer 4X2 with a blown 4.0L. Been awhile but it reminds me a lot of the Mutineer. See ya in the threads.

7A6999A7-A4D8-4E2E-A1CE-3A356C0AA752.jpeg

E4236BA4-EA6A-433B-BA57-7F5614F56C2B.jpeg

9D38D074-65AC-45C0-8B40-2D55D18ECC1F.jpeg

B75E11C9-64D5-4B39-AD90-18423E0106EA.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love the way the bumper is being held together.

I love the way the bumper is being held together.
LOL the truck is a 2 owner. Have all the original papers from the first owner all the way to last year, when he sold it to his grandson. I saw pictures of it the day he sold it... it looked great. So 8 months in the hands of the grandson were ROUGH ones. Last time he drove it he had it up to the frame in mud, and they tore off the hitch trying to get it out.

It’s got 153000 miles, runs and drives perfectly and has no check engine lights. I can work with the rest.

This is the body donor for the project. 1 owner, my best friend in the world. The timing chain guides when kablewey and got it for cheap, since he knew what I was doing with it. Can’t wait to get started!

F40C0691-27C0-42CA-826D-0C4F18926A2D.jpeg

346D49F0-1B91-46A1-9635-EED0ABFE8BAF.jpeg

58473102-ED48-403D-8B9E-47953A921623.jpeg

So in the end it will be the white truck as a 4WD, TT, and a spring over Axle running 33's.

I have all the parts to get it done, just need the time.

Eventually an SAS, but lets keep it on the ground for now...

BTW: This thread has some awesome info on swapping a 2WD to a 4WD:

2WD to 4WD Conversion

Looking good, lots of work but when it’s a passion who cares

Right on. I got my work cut out for me. Ill keep progress up in this thread if anyone wants to follow. it'll be a slow start but once its going it cant be stopped...lol

I don't consider myself an EXPERT anything. I learned from every time I ever turned a wrench, ESPECIALLY the projects I have done. So i am going to approach this carefully and ask questions before I start.

I have been reading all the threads about this issue. The last thing I want to start is another opinion poll. Please do not try to dissuade me from doing this, as I have already decided this is my course of action, given my available means and donor vehicles available to me. This is a project that I love doing and keeps me even, If I wish to upgrade to something better in the future I will, but right now I just want to have my explorer back, and it'll be fun. :)

everyone refers to these engines as SOHC and OHV. Here is my understanding of that terminology:

***4.0L SOHC (SYNCHRONIZED OVERHEAD CAM) Two cams, one over each head, and 5 timing chains in the 4X4 models
This is my 1996, and it has blown the timing cassettes (and the valves...etc). I bought it like this cheap from a friend.

***4.0L OHV (OVER HEAD VALVE) One cam, and pushrod driven valves, 1 timing chain from crank to cam.
This is my 1997, which I just bought. the body is shot, but the 4X4 drivetrain is fully functional.

I am using the 97 OHV drivetrain to swap the 96 SOHC to 4X4, while replacing the engine at the same time.

I have all the parts to both trucks. Here is my understanding of what must be done engine-wise:

***PCM, Engine and wiring harness from OHV vehicle will need to be swapped to the donor body.

As far as everything else, I am using all the original parts from the OHV truck (trans, axles, rotors, engine, wiring, etc...) and swapping it over. So issues with the trans and stuff wont be there, since it is all going over together.

I will have the things torn down to the body panels and will recover all the wiring harnesses from the 97 before I scrap the body.

I would swap the white body over to the other chassis, but the rust and damage to the frame on the 97 is too great. So this is the plan. I hope to get started on this within the next month, after I get a rear engine seal in my son's Nissan.

I didn't think the SOHC made it to production until 97? The white truck is a 96 with a SOHC?

I didn't think the SOHC made it to production until 97? The white truck is a 96 with a SOHC?

Yes it has the SOHC... but could be the manufacture date puts it as a 97... it’s titled as a 96...

Back