My 2014 PIU Mod list-So far and on the way! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2014 PIU Mod list-So far and on the way!

Only1Badboy

Reaction score
City, State
St. Paul Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Police Util
So I bought my PIU about two months ago for....a steal we will say. It has 131,000 on it and had new wheel bearings put in both the rears when I bought it. SO once I bought it the modding began!

-3rd row seat install. Have seat installed waiting for the trim pieces to complete the trunk. Should have them this evening as of 8/4/20
-Aftermarket radio- DONE
-Kicker l3 subwoofer
-Hifonics 1200w mono amp
-Sound deadening materials and insulations-have materials waiting on the new carpet to come in
-retail center console installed.
-New carpet-in the mail
-Led's (ALL THE BARS!) lol 20" for the lower grill ,30" for the roof basket, and 6 small cubes for sides and the rear.
-head rest tv's (SO the kids and I can watch our movies and cartoons)
-Exhaust-2 thrush welded- 3.5 inch copper colored tips. I added 2 thrush (31") glass packs to where the resonators were. IT sounds SOOOO much better, and reduced the drone. The thing sounded like a Honda ex...I was going to drive into a wall and into a river....
-Led's on the exterior and interior- along with 2 load resistors on the front turns- No more needed.

SO my upcoming list-

-Open Country A/T3 tires
-Bilstein b6 all around
-Lift? Unsure at this time if I really want to do it.
-roof basket
-Paint-Cement gray- not a fan of black
-Hdmi ports
-Center console inverter conversion. (Currently learning the wiring.)
-Weather tech
-"Raptor" style grill- lets be real- we only want the sweet amber lights lol
-Lots more ill update

I will be posting videos of the sound dampening-wire install as I go along with the carpet. ETC
I plan on pretty much dumping it all in within a weeks time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...and just like that my TV's and cloth tape arrived...
20200804_105351.jpg

20200804_105717.jpg

20200804_105355.jpg

Seeing as how you are in Minnesota, I'd recommending going with the Husky liners, especially in the front, as they provide more coverage/protection.

Peter

Seeing as how you are in Minnesota, I'd recommending going with the Husky liners, especially in the front, as they provide more coverage/protection.

Peter

Thank you. I was up in the air about the liners being I noticed that with the husky. I wish husky had more color options lol

My OCD wouldnt let me have this any longer with my civilian center console. Many are probably wondering why I didnt just grab the whole console. WELL the civilian one is much nicer and more features I want to mess with :)

Very easy to get this trim off. just flipped them over and picked at the melted plastic around the wholes for the trim pins...done.
20200805_084640.jpg

20200805_084633.jpg

I will definitely be following your thread to get some ideas for my PIU.
Curious where you got your carpet from? I have been looking at adding carpet to my PIU now that I swapped seats, and there is nothing back there.. Also will be curious with your wiring for the console, as I would like to at least get the lighting and USB's function, but want to keep the wiring as neat as possible.

I will definitely be following your thread to get some ideas for my PIU.
Curious where you got your carpet from? I have been looking at adding carpet to my PIU now that I swapped seats, and there is nothing back there.. Also will be curious with your wiring for the console, as I would like to at least get the lighting and USB's function, but want to keep the wiring as neat as possible.
I am just like you wolfe, I want EVERYTHING as clean as possible. I went through OCcarpets.com being you are purchasing the stock carpet you are getting the OEM civilian carpet so it covers all the seating area.. The hardest part I have yet to come by is that dang spare tire carpet piece its $145 through the dealer...to heck with that. lol I have had a few people on facebook market place-that were selling parts but never got back to me. The one from yesterday...I think is playing games. I said I was on the way to out there and he told me to bring tequila. Then said he wasnt available until the weekend. -I dont mess with people like that

I am just like you wolfe, I want EVERYTHING as clean as possible. I went through OCcarpets.com being you are purchasing the stock carpet you are getting the OEM civilian carpet so it covers all the seating area.. The hardest part I have yet to come by is that dang spare tire carpet piece its $145 through the dealer...to heck with that. lol I have had a few people on facebook market place-that were selling parts but never got back to me. The one from yesterday...I think is playing games. I said I was on the way to out there and he told me to bring tequila. Then said he wasnt available until the weekend. -I dont mess with people like that

I appreciate the link! That's a good price, I will be curious how the fit is. I found a full 3 piece carpet out of a wrecked one on Ebay, but I missed out on it for $175.. I was able to find the spare tire well carpet, cover, and trim at a local junkyard for $30 so at least that section is done.

I appreciate the link! That's a good price, I will be curious how the fit is. I found a full 3 piece carpet out of a wrecked one on Ebay, but I missed out on it for $175.. I was able to find the spare tire well carpet, cover, and trim at a local junkyard for $30 so at least that section is done.

I honestly would rather spend to get new on the carpet. This way I can get a deeper black color and I know where the carpet as been lol. I keep striking out on the rear carpet. We are unable to pick our own stuff right now in Minnesota. So the puller told me that there is no carpet back there. He said that they carpet piece does not exist. I showed him the ford diagram. He got realy grumpy and said. "Well that is more labor!" I said I thought it didnt exist? He stormed off I was very confused to why he was so upset. The manager apologized.

So last nights pick up was for the interior quarter pieces. These ones have a factory lockbox! if you find one...make sure you grab the Ford bracket as well! See photos
20200806_133305.jpg

20200806_133421.jpg

So I bought my PIU about two months ago for....a steal we will say. It has 131,000 on it and had new wheel bearings put in both the rears when I bought it. SO once I bought it the modding began!

-3rd row seat install. Have seat installed waiting for the trim pieces to complete the trunk. Should have them this evening as of 8/4/20
-Aftermarket radio- DONE
-Kicker l3 subwoofer
-Hifonics 1200w mono amp
-Sound deadening materials and insulations-have materials waiting on the new carpet to come in
-retail center console installed.
-New carpet-in the mail
-Led's (ALL THE BARS!) lol 20" for the lower grill ,30" for the roof basket, and 6 small cubes for sides and the rear.
-head rest tv's (SO the kids and I can watch our movies and cartoons)
-Exhaust-2 thrush welded- 3.5 inch copper colored tips. I added 2 thrush (31") glass packs to where the resonators were. IT sounds SOOOO much better, and reduced the drone. The thing sounded like a Honda ex...I was going to drive into a wall and into a river....
-Led's on the exterior and interior- along with 2 load resistors on the front turns- No more needed.

SO my upcoming list-

-Open Country A/T3 tires
-Bilstein b6 all around
-roof basket
-Hdmi ports
-Weather tech
-"Raptor" style grill- lets be real- we only want the sweet amber lights lol
-Lots more ill update

I will be posting videos of the sound dampening-wire install as I go along with the carpet. ETC
I plan on pretty much dumping it all in within a weeks time.

Have you considered dipping it? Personally, its the cheapest way to fix the leaks and get a uniform paint for little to no money if you do it yourself?

Have you considered dipping it? Personally, its the cheapest way to fix the leaks and get a uniform paint for little to no money if you do it yourself?

I have...The issue is, I would like some dings taken out and other things. The overall "quick paint" Police job that they did on it looks like heck at this point.

-

-Open Country A/T3 tires
-Bilstein b6 all around
-roof basket
-Hdmi ports

We are doing the same exact 2014 build except you are a week or so ahead of me!

Currently trying to figure out the inverter for the outlet on the rear of the center console too, and I'm trying to decide on aftermarket radio or attempting to wire in an aux input.

I'm also unsure of a lift, I like how it looks & rides as it is! but when it comes to towing or hitting the dirt I might want some clearance for bigger tires. It's a highway beast right now.

I'm going for a wrap instead of paint/dipping. My car was blue over white, squad style. I went with a satin grey wrap to cover the small chips and dents I couldnt get gloss perfect. About 600$ for the wrap and supplies. There aren't many complicated angles on the body panels so I believe it could make for an easy wrap

We are doing the same exact 2014 build except you are a week or so ahead of me!

Currently trying to figure out the inverter for the outlet on the rear of the center console too, and I'm trying to decide on aftermarket radio or attempting to wire in an aux input.

I'm also unsure of a lift, I like how it looks & rides as it is! but when it comes to towing or hitting the dirt I might want some clearance for bigger tires. It's a highway beast right now.

I'm going for a wrap instead of paint/dipping. My car was blue over white, squad style. I went with a satin grey wrap to cover the small chips and dents I couldnt get gloss perfect. About 600$ for the wrap and supplies. There aren't many complicated angles on the body panels so I believe it could make for an easy wrap

AWESOME! I would definitely go with the after market radio. It was a very easy install, and straight forward. It makes the set up look so much cleaner! I think I may just do the larger tires. I really have no clue yet either. I am going to do my Bilstein's and tires all at the same time. Being we are running out of summer I may just have to jump right in on my snow tires either way hahaha.

What engine do you have?

AWESOME! I would definitely go with the after market radio. It was a very easy install, and straight forward. It makes the set up look so much cleaner! I think I may just do the larger tires. I really have no clue yet either. I am going to do my Bilstein's and tires all at the same time. Being we are running out of summer I may just have to jump right in on my snow tires either way hahaha.

What engine do you have?

What aftermarket radio did you use? Been eyeing the metra kit but I've seen a couple others like the 12" screen that are wild.

I scooped up a 3.7 NA, 97k miles. Got lucky and saw the motor pool swapped the water pump at 84k. so I'm hoping the timing chain was also done lol.

My tires are looking pretty rubbed as it is, and I was eye-ing the toyos with a lift, but was thinking of just doing the protune level. Bilsteins would be rad! Got me second guessing

What aftermarket radio did you use? Been eyeing the metra kit but I've seen a couple others like the 12" screen that are wild.

I scooped up a 3.7 NA, 97k miles. Got lucky and saw the motor pool swapped the water pump at 84k. so I'm hoping the timing chain was also done lol.

My tires are looking pretty rubbed as it is, and I was eye-ing the toyos with a lift, but was thinking of just doing the protune level. Bilsteins would be rad! Got me second guessing

Nice! Mine is the same engine 131,000 on it got it for $2,000. I have the metra and just a boss bluetooth navigation double din. I want the Toyo's. what is a Protune Level? Yup I need to replace them anyways so might as well just spend the money on good shocks!

Was looking at tire sizes....and I noticed the 20' factory size...of 255/ 50R20. I figured get as close as possible and per the calculator....this should work....correct? 265/65/18?

I also know the the 3% rule in the group is pretty ..recommended...but what about this? Does this hold true for our Explorers?
"Choosing tire size wisely
A good rule of thumb is to stay within a 3% diameter change (3/4 inch diameter change), though pick-ups and SUVs can often handle up to a 15% oversize tire. "

Not sure about who you are using to change tires, but.... Most major tire places will not change to tires not rated for the vehicle and the PIU's have high speed rated tires, so that narrows the choices.

Not sure about who you are using to change tires, but.... Most major tire places will not change to tires not rated for the vehicle and the PIU's have high speed rated tires, so that narrows the choices.

Z I think you missed what I was trying to say. So if a sport can use that size in 20" and I am matching it with the relative size, then it should work ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was looking at tire sizes....and I noticed the 20' factory size...of 255/ 50R20. I figured get as close as possible and per the calculator....this should work....correct? 265/65/18?

I also know the the 3% rule in the group is pretty ..recommended...but what about this? Does this hold true for our Explorers?
"Choosing tire size wisely
A good rule of thumb is to stay within a 3% diameter change (3/4 inch diameter change), though pick-ups and SUVs can often handle up to a 15% oversize tire. "
Changing a 255/50R20 to a 265/65R18 results in a 5% diameter difference. The example you listed was a 255/55R20.
A 265/60R18 is 2% and as is a 245/65R18. When your speedo reads 60 the actual speed will be 61 mph.

Peter

Back