My 93 explorer has this annoying slight ticking in the motor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 93 explorer has this annoying slight ticking in the motor?

93explorereb

Reaction score
City, State
Northeast
Year, Model & Trim Level
93/97 4.0 EB/5.0 XLT 4AWD
Gretings:

My engine has this annoying ticking problem! I just picked it up yesterday, and will be doing a complete tuneup etc this week. However, I was thinking, even though it is quite common for these motors to develop the tick problem, that I would add some Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner to the tank (2 cycles), and then incorporate some upper cylinder lube (ashless 2 cycle oil) to the fuel (small ratios). In addition, changing the oil to say Pennzoil Platinum synthetic oil etc. My ticking sounds more like borderline lifter/moisture in the tank/fuel system. Its not overly loud, and only happened when it was started up in 8 degree weather. So it may not even temp too long, once it is fully warmed up? Its alternator had seized up, thus popping the belt. I have some nice NGK V-power plugs to install in it, these copper premium plugs fire well, and stay pretty clean. What say you? Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats on your new Ex, suggest you do a search on Sea Foam.

In my experience, it indicates that the heads are in need of a rebuild. I had mine done a few years ago for this same problem. Seems to be common in Gen 1 and 2 explorers, anyhow.

What engine is this? I have a 91 F-250 with a 7.6 gas, that has INSANE lifter noise.

I guess I been lucky so far... Mine has 188 grand and the motor is just quiet as my 03 Ranger with 60 grand

Yeah, I think mine maybe just related to warming up in 10 degree weather. Also it is more of a very moderate tick, whereas it is not too loud. Somewhat like a fuel injectors operating, but a tad bit louder.
I guess I been lucky so far... Mine has 188 grand and the motor is just quiet as my 03 Ranger with 60 grand

It's probably lifter noise. Very common in the older OHV motors like yours. It's mostly annoying more than anything. It will still run fine and long. Mine's been tapping for about 30,000 miles now and still runs smooth and strong. It quiets up when it gets warmer, but it's always there a little bit. I just turn the radio up til I can't here it, and forget about it.

you can try running a 25% mix of Lucas oil additive to a high mileage synthetic oil at your next oil change, this stuff coats GREAT and should make a difference with lifter noise. I recently discovered the stuff and plan to try it out next time I mess with my f-250. I run it at about 10% mix in my explorer, no problems with the motor but it is higher mileage so I don't want any to develop.

Dam::rolleyes:! Should this be the case, I would be almost tempted to use a good 5w-40 synthetic motor oil, just to keep the ticks under wraps!! Thanks:)!
It's probably lifter noise. Very common in the older OHV motors like yours. It's mostly annoying more than anything. It will still run fine and long. Mine's been tapping for about 30,000 miles now and still runs smooth and strong. It quiets up when it gets warmer, but it's always there a little bit. I just turn the radio up til I can't here it, and forget about it.

Back