My 99 merc. leans to the drivers front any ideas? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 99 merc. leans to the drivers front any ideas?

99MERC

Reaction score
City, State
OHIO
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Merc.Mount. AWD V8
I just noticed the other day my 99 Mercury Mountaineer leans on the drivers front side by almost 1" ! I checked all the air pressure in the tires and measured from several locations to verify,fender down to ground, A arm down to ground,shock mounts length. Every time about 1 " diff. between the two front sides. the back of the truck is perfect,but in the same sense it doesn't make sense. if the back is equal and the front isnt wouldn't that cause a high side in the rear too?
So I replaced all the shocks, sway bar ends. and still the darn thing leans too the front drivers.SOOO I adjusted the torsion bars ALL THE WAY UP as far as they would go and re measured, you guess it.. same difference. Higher but 1" off so I droped it back down and now I'm just getting ticked off. I went ahead and put a shackle lift on the rear to help the rear leafs abit and still have the lean and out of ideas. The tires are wearing perfect I checked the tread, it tracks straight when driving.... I need some advice on what else to look at!! Could I have a weak torsion bar? I tried to adjust just the drivers side torsion bar and make up the difference but it still raised the pass. side too making it closer to even but still a half inch off and a springy,tough left front. I'm out of ideas really! ANY ADVICE PLEASE! :confused:
Info:
99 STOCK Mercury Mountianeer
5.0L V8
ALL options but self leveling suspension.
solid rear axle
stock tires and rims

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Advice - Get a fat girlfriend.

Pretty much all explorers from the begining of explorer time have leaned a little. I had 3 explorers and they all did it (91, 94 and 2001). It gives it character.

I would but my wife would kill me,or she will start to suspect that I already have one and I ride shotgun! :D I've been accused of off roading already,I may as well go ahead and do it. Maybe it will straighten things out....

Try lowering the passenger side torsion bar a little bit. This will have the dual effect of lowering the front right a little as well as boosting the left rear a little which should get you pretty close to level all the way around. It is near impossible to get all four corners perfect, but if you can get it to where you can't notice without measuring thats all it takes!

My 97 Explorer leaned more than an inch on the drivers side, so I went to the local library and took the Chilton book out at adjusted the torsion bar, rotated tires and she goes straight and level down the road!

Most of them do, as noted.

Be very sure that you are measuring the chassis, not the body. The body does not have anything to do with the functioning of the suspension. If the chassis is not leveled, then the truck will steer oddly left to right, and handly similarily odd.

Check the distance from the suspension to level ground. I suggest referencing the front lower control arm bolts. I made mine even at the alignment shop(torsion bar adjustment), and the fenders are different left/right. Good luck,

had the same problem with my '98. straightened out when I did tt & shackle lift

My left to right swap
I had the similar problem but mine was both front and rear leaning to the left,known as the fuel tank sag.After I did the above the vehicle pretty much sits level by eye.I have new springs and shackles in the works and probably a AAL.

leaning

My 93 Ford Explorer does the same thing, it leans to the drivers side (both front and rear) almost an inch and a half more then the passengers side.

My 93 does not have torsion bars so how can I go about fixing this? (other then getting a fat girlfriend to sit on the higher side, haha)

What causes it to lean? I do some off-roading, could this be the cause?

Jeff

Back