My clutch, slave and master saga continues... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My clutch, slave and master saga continues...

94_explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Cotati, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
Well, first some good news. I finally completed the job of replacing the trashed slave, and it was shredded. This was a brand new slave that died the next day. Ouch. While I had the tranny down, I noticed that the shaft was sloppy. This tranny is on it's way to the grave anyway, so I didn't do anything about it for now. I couldn't find a front bearing anyway, and I was running out of time. I got everything reassembled and I filled up the tranny. Now all that was left was to bleed the hydraulic system and test drive! Yeah! er, NOOOOO. :/

The clutch pedal goes straight to the floor. Before, when the line was disconnected from the slave, the pedal was hard as it should be. Now it's soft as a marshmallow. I bled the master cylinder a whole bunch of times, but to no avail. I couldn't find any pressure AT ALL. Nada. Zero. Ziltch. We hooked it up (futile) and tried to bleed it while attached to the slave. Of course that didn't do anything. So, I guess I'm going to replace the master cylinder and start from there.

Here's my list of questions:

1. How do you bench bleed a master cylinder?
2. What's the deal with only being able to push the rod in once?
3. How does the line from the slave connect/disconnect to the master cylinder?
4. Why in God's name is this such a PITA?
5. Any other fresh tips on replacing the master and bleeding the system?

I've disconnected everything on the master cylinder except the hydraulic line to the slave. I'm not sure how to disconnect this? Should I try to remove the whole hydraulic line while attached to the master, or should I just disconnect it?

Update from HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!! Damn it anyway. I can't do either. That master is so tight in there and it's hard to get in there to work. I couldn't pull it all out with the hydraulic line and I couldn't for the life of me get that little pin out where the line attaches to the master. Do I need some sort of special tool to get that pin out or what? This is driving me nuts. I've wasted the whole afternoon and I finally gave up for the day.

Tips or suggestions anyone?

Back