My compass, and temperature switch don't work on my 01 Sport Trac. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My compass, and temperature switch don't work on my 01 Sport Trac.

joeruiz

Reaction score
City, State
Anahiem
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport track
Have a 2001 sport trak, temp and compass switch doesn't work anymore unless I squeeze the sides, any suggestions short of replacing?

I just fixed mine

There is a different forum and thread that has pictures on how to repair your problem. You take the overhead console off, take the white box out and pry the tabs to open it, you"ll see resistors in it. The 2 resistors marked 510 was the problem. The solder is broke on the top or bottom even if it doesn't look it. I put a little solder on both 510 resistors top and bottom. Put the console back together, put it back in the car and mine came back on and is working like new. Try to find the forum with the thread with the overhead console temp problem, it worked for me , i have a 2003 sport trac . Hope this helped!!!!
P.S. FORD WANTED $500.00 TO REPLACE THE WHOLE CONSOLE

thanks for the info, my console started to malfunction, so I finally took it apart.
There are 2 screws in the garage door opener box section, rear is clipped in (just pull down).
disconnect connector to console.
remove 5 screws (some hidden under foam), there are 7 total.
remove display assembly, remove last 2 screw (also under foam)
disconnect PCB from 0.1" pin spaced connector (5 black wires?)
unclip the covers
I used the instructions in the previous post, and slightly expanded on them.

If you're not working with electronics maybe this isn't for you.

here is a picture of the 2 "51 Ohm" resistors that disconnect, the problem appears to be a heat issue. The 2 resistors are in parallel to make a 25.5 Ohm resistor. There is a lot of current/power going through them, which heats them up a lot. Since they are upside down, they kind of melt off over time.

The sides that fell off were very hard to re-tin, if available put new ones on. It may be better to put 4 x 100 Ohm resistors on instead. This would spread the power over 4 devices instead of 2.

I didn't have anything available readily, so spent a while re-tinning. Pic attached of resoldered resistors.

edit: oh, and clean the lens on the display, and the green filter.

Back