• Register Today It's free!

MY ex 1994 please help

t_Cam72

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi my name is Tyler I have a 1994 v6 ford explorer. I am in the process of doing all my mods right now. Going in is 4 inch tuff country susp. lift. 3 in pa body lift. 35 inch interco mud terrains, either 18 or 20 inch XD Rockstars. going to put other outside mods on (lightbar arb roof rack) etc.. can only do so much at once. HOWEVER I would like to make my engine FASTER or more powerful. I am very new to the automotive thing just starting to learn how to fix stuff install things. What can i do to make my ex faster!?!?!?!

Welcome to the forum. :)

By faster, lets just assume you mean Quicker. Two ways comes to mind for achieving this....

Engine>
The 4.0L has some engine mods that can be done to it, but anything that produces respectable gains is pricey. Cams, heads, intakes, throttle bodies, headers, and high flow exhausts all need to be ran in unison to add up to a hill of beans. Better/cheaper/easier to just swap in a 5.0L/trans from a 2nd gen Ex/Mounty. Tons of bolt on HP mods for it, with massive HP possibilities.

Gears>
New Deeper Gears are a great way to make it "Quicker" Check to see what gears you have now, and then you can go about finding the information you need to do a gear swap. Look on the door sticker under "AXLE" to find the 2 digit code for your gear ratio.

Also>
Tire size. The taller the tire, the deeper the gear you need to keep it at a stock power band. The lower the tire, the less deep you need to run for a stock power band. Your rig comes with 235 tires (28.5"), and gears that range anywhere from 3.27 to 4.10 ratio. The deeper the gear the Quicker it will be. The trade off is the top end speed is reduced, and you wind out your drive gear range faster. Cruising speed engine RPM's will be higher the deeper the gear also. Opposite for shallower gears. You can run all the way up to 5.13 ratio in your D35 front axle. Plan on spending (aprox)$1000 for new gears and set up. You can find a set of used 4.10 axles, and just swap them out as well. Anything higher, and it's off to the gear shop.

Hope this helps you a bit, keep asking questions, and please use the search feature on this forum to find answers as well.

tahnks

Thanks Gman I like that there are people out there who actually appreciate the Explorer! I work at an automotive buissness where i ask a question like that and they say buy a new car! THank you!

Back