Please Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please Help!

forddriver2012

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
Hello my name is Carol and im am the mother of two, i have a 1996 Ford Explorer that runs great but for some reason all of a sudden it wouldnt go into gear. It wont move when i put i into drive or reverse, if u punch down on the gas after a few seconds it will move about an inch or two but thats it. do i need a whole new transmission? the only thing it did do before this was kept poping off two spark plug wires, could the wires be the problem? im no mechanic and i really need help!
Thanks desperate mom!

It sounds like the transmission fluid is low. Check that first. The dipstick is back near the firewall. Check it with the engine running. Pull it out, wipe the fluid off (if there is any), stick it back in all the way, pull it out and check it again. If it needs any, your transmission takes either Mercon or Mercon V fluid, I'm not sure which on a '96, someone else here will know.

That being said, if the transmission is full and/or the fluid on the dipstick has a burnt smell, your transmission is toast and on its last legs. Sorry.

Back