My front calipers were replaced, and I have air in the lines. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My front calipers were replaced, and I have air in the lines.

tech499

Reaction score
City, State
minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 rangerxlt
I had drivers side caliper hanging up, decided to change both front calipers,after doing this,bleed the lines. problem is that when I start the engine the pedal goes straight to the floor. when engine off I can depress brake pedal and I have pressure building up. checked the vacumn to the canister and I have pressure in ther. ? is what else can I check to make the brakes work,everything was working fine before this happened. any ideas, this is on a 2001 ford ranger xlt 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you bleed the passenger side and then the driver's side? No leaks?

sounds like there is still air in the lines,,

welcome

redo the bleeding again, start on the passenger side first , it is furthest away,

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed, and moved your thread to the Ranger section. 4W ABS requires a scanner to cycle the valve block while bleeding the system in order to remove the air from the lines. One way that this problem could have been avoided is to use a special pinch off tool on the brake hoses, and prefill the calipers with brake fluid. Bleeding could be done with one caliper at a time while the pinch off tool is removed one at a time. There will still be air in them, but it won't be as much. It will still have to be bled, but the amount of air in the system will be very minimal.

Back