My New Glasspack | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My New Glasspack

Reaction score
City, State
Oxford, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
Last night i looked around on this forum for info related to anybody using glasspacks on their x's. Also i was trying to find sound clips of what they sound like, expecially on a v6. I couldn't find anything, and i decided to go ahead and get the glasspack put on my truck. WOW. I love the sound! i was afraid i'd have the "import" sound, or a low whine at highway speeds. in my case, i didn't; it sounds just like i wanted (or maybe even too quiet?) :D

The sound I was wanting was a rumble under acceleration. This is the sound i got, though it sounds good between 3 and 4k rpms (i'm too chicken to push it too much harder too often). between 2200 and 2800 it's relitively quiet.

I took 1 video of my x with my stock exhaust. btw it's pretty much completly stock, expecially in the drivetrain and such. it's a 99 sport, 4.0 v6 ohv manual tranny. after i got the glasspack, i took a few more videos. i don't have an outside rev'ing video, or the nice grumble it has as you slowly deccelerate. those are coming later maybe this week :)

http://www.geocities.com/kimble_j/exhaust/exhaust.html

Tell me what you think! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Give it time to break in................it will sound like crap before long.

i think what robb was saying...glass packs wear and when they wear they effectively become a open pipe and then youre running open exhaust on a v6...imo, not a pretty sound like you get from open exhaust on a v8. then again, its a glass pack, if you like how it sounds, they're cheap enough that you can replace them if this happens. whatever makes you happy, glad youre satisfied with it!

My opinion is that it probably sounds ok at idle or low acceleration. After it breaks in its going to get louder and at high acceleration on a 6 cyclinder they dont sound very good, I think thats what Robb is getting at.

Also glass packs dont flow very good, they are for noise only in my opinion.

Yup, I back up Robb on this one. A friend of mine has one on his old Dodge, granted it's a V8, but it sounds bad on a old V8. It's all in preference and what you want it to sound like. And Fish Man said, they're cheap to replace.

-Drew

I still think the Dynomax I had on my Jimmy sounded the best. I switched to Flowmaster, but was pretty dissappointed. It was a tad too loud, and the drone on the freeway got annoying.

Back when I could still hear, there was a V6 ranger with a burned outglass pack running around here. It was ok at idle, but when he got on it everyone laughed and said it sounded like "a pissed off bumble bee trapped in a tin can."

if you like it good deal man post when it breaks in who knows, you could prove ever one wrong

lol i hear ya :) thanks everyone, this is all a learning process to me.

Sorry if the links didn't work (i just noticed today when i tried to show somebody at work) I have 5GB transfer limit with geocities, and had only used like 8mb for the month, and it was shutting me out of the videos.... whatever the case, i added a short description beside the picture (what i meant to do to begin with)

I plan to have all these videos up for a lil while (maybe a month) and even add a few more (when i find time). not to mention, i need to reencode these (i was hoping they would be 500-900kb each, instead of 2mb or so). After a month or so i want to keep hosting the best 1 or 2 sounds for any future potentiall glass pack enthusiast to hear.

btw, i'm confused about this: is it glasspack or glass pack? (one word or 2?) I've seen it said both. I assume it's not refered to as glasspak or anything weird like that...

re

i currently have a glasspack, year and a half now. it is defintley louder now. downright obnoxious....Originally i had a MAC, resonance was brutal. I am going to go 50 or 70s flowmaster i think.

weird thing now... i hear, what sounds like, more and more of an exhaust leak. sometimes. it sometimes sounds like it's getting worse. more of when it's warm. on a cold day it's prettymuch quiet. i LOVE the downshift sound, but i hate getting on it and hearing that *woush* of what sounds like an exhaust leak. i haven't got under it while running to try to find it (or if it's just a faulty muffler).
btw, the muffler shop was going to charge me $40 parts and labor for it, then i did some side work for them and got it for free - so so far it's a free muffler :)

JMHO, but if you want the best sound, with Dyno proven perf results (8 H.P.). go catback,single, dual side out , Random tech Y-Pipe

Attachments

• Mvc-017s.jpg
    Mvc-017s.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 357

That does look nice atleast. Sadly If I went that route I would crush those pipes in a day ;)

TheRookie said:
That does look nice atleast. Sadly If I went that route I would crush those pipes in a day ;)
Not offroad user friendly for sure :D

That exhaust looks killer spindlecone,again not a rock climber for sure. Those glass packs seem to have the "Bathtub" fart sound. LOL! But i suppose it is all in what you like...

falls chic said:
That exhaust looks killer spindlecone,again not a rock climber for sure. Those glass packs seem to have the "Bathtub" fart sound. LOL! But i suppose it is all in what you like...
Thx
The gravel in my driveway is as offroad as I get :D

Back