My Radio Kept Playing After I left My Vehicle .... Odd... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Radio Kept Playing After I left My Vehicle .... Odd...

I don't think this is it. This has happened to me a couple of times, and we haven't done the update yet on our '12 LTD. I'm pretty sure I have turned the car off with the door closed, opened the door, radio still playing, closed the door, radio still playing. I waited a couple of seconds without doing anything else and it finally shut off.
Unless the XLT is different from the Limited, it sure isn't a sticking pin switch. There isn't one.

When I shut the vehicle off with the door open, the radio (MFT) turns off immediately. Therefore it shouldn't matter the door is open or closed, the radio and MFT screen should go off when the Explorer is shut down.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford got away from exposed door pin switches in the mid to late 90s.

Mine only does this when I have been on the phone via bluetooth (radio on OR off before the call makes no difference), transfered the call to my iphone, shut the vehicle off and open the door. Every stinkin time. Nothing avoids it. I shut the door, turn the vehicle on, turn the radio off then shut the vehcile off again to get the radio to go off. This is the only glitch I see tho.

-Kevin

Therefore it shouldn't matter the door is open or closed, the radio and MFT screen should go off when the Explorer is shut down.

Peter,

These have accessory delay so with the door closed and key turned off, the radio and MFT stay on for a bit (i forget how long, 2 minutes maybe??) or until a door is opened. Coming BACK on after shutdown is an issue though. Could be a problem with the GEM (if that's what they're still calling it) feeding back voltage to something. Idk... Stuff's gettin to fancy and electric for me to be fumbling around with it. Lol

-Kevin

Peter,

These have accessory delay so with the door closed and key turned off, the radio and MFT stay on for a bit (i forget how long, 2 minutes maybe??) or until a door is opened. Coming BACK on after shutdown is an issue though. Could be a problem with the GEM (if that's what they're still calling it) feeding back voltage to something. Idk... Stuff's gettin to fancy and electric for me to be fumbling around with it. Lol

-Kevin
You are right Kevin. I meant to say that the MFT screen/radio should turn off right away if the Explorer is shut down with the door open and should shut down when the door is opened if the Explorer was turn off with the doors initially closed.

Peter

I just bought a 2013 Ford Explorer XLT and it has happened many many times and I have only had my truck for a week. Also the dimmer control has appeared in my dashboard and I never touched it. It is now in the shop as I was given a rental car (small gas sucking one) Until they get info from FORD about this issue. They played dumb as they hadn't heard of this before. I of course shared this new site called GOOGLE.com.. ha ha... They said it might be from the door pin that it's not popping out when door opens? I have no clue but 3 hours there wasn't fun to have no answer when I made appointment... Believe me you spend all this money for a NEW CAR it shouldn't have issues and you shouldn't settle for less!! Just saying :) I will keep you all posted on what the outcome is so you can check into it as well if you wanted too..

I just bought a 2013 Ford Explorer XLT and it has happened many many times and I have only had my truck for a week. Also the dimmer control has appeared in my dashboard and I never touched it. It is now in the shop as I was given a rental car (small gas sucking one) Until they get info from FORD about this issue. They played dumb as they hadn't heard of this before. I of course shared this new site called GOOGLE.com.. ha ha... They said it might be from the door pin that it's not popping out when door opens? I have no clue but 3 hours there wasn't fun to have no answer when I made appointment... Believe me you spend all this money for a NEW CAR it shouldn't have issues and you shouldn't settle for less!! Just saying :) I will keep you all posted on what the outcome is so you can check into it as well if you wanted too..
Welcome to the Forum suedio1959. :wavey:
The dimmer control display will pop up when the conditions change and your dash lights go brighter or dimmer. I get that all the time when backing out of my garage during the day and the headlights go off.
As far as a door pin sticking, I haven't been able to find one. I have the Limited and there is no door pin. Not sure if the XLT is different. If the interior lights come on when you open the door, then obviously it isn't a "sticking door pin" or whatever the Explorer uses in its place.

Peter

I believe the switch is located inside of the latch itself

a couple days ago I could not get the radio to turn off, even while driving or when stopped. No matter how many times I pushed the power button. I tried shutting off the vehicle , opening and closing the driver's door. It was crazy, too bad it was a weekend or I would have taken it to my dealer to witness it, it's all gone back to normal now.

a couple days ago I could not get the radio to turn off, even while driving or when stopped. No matter how many times I pushed the power button. I tried shutting off the vehicle , opening and closing the driver's door. It was crazy, too bad it was a weekend or I would have taken it to my dealer to witness it, it's all gone back to normal now.

Hi JFUSION... I took mine into FORD where I bought my Explorer and it's been there now 2 days and they only ruled out it's not the door pin. They say it happens about every 40=50 starts.. They are suppose to be working with someone at the FORD Plant... but I can't see how starting my truck over and over and over again is good for the starter or whatever else... Still no answers !!

Reply back..

Welcome to the Forum suedio1959. :wavey:
The dimmer control display will pop up when the conditions change and your dash lights go brighter or dimmer. I get that all the time when backing out of my garage during the day and the headlights go off.
As far as a door pin sticking, I haven't been able to find one. I have the Limited and there is no door pin. Not sure if the XLT is different. If the interior lights come on when you open the door, then obviously it isn't a "sticking door pin" or whatever the Explorer uses in its place.

Peter

Hi Peter, Thanks for the info on the dimmer control, that makes sense. As for the radio issue, Ford has ruled out it's the door pin... so going on Day 3 of no answers, They have to keep starting it over and over as it doesn't do it everytime. Said about every 40-50 times.. I don't think that's good for my starter or engine or something.. I'm frustrated because I've only had it for over a week....

There is now a fix YEAH!!!!!!

There is a fix for this. I was having this same problem on my 13 base model Explorer. Went to the dealer during the fall last year and was giving a print out form the ford website that techs use that they are aware of the problem and ford is working on a fix. Well now the fix is out now. It is an update to the software the radio uses from the computer in the instrument cluster. This will also fix the problem some might be having with the screen in the instrument cluster staying on. I will warn you that the update can take anywhere from 30 min to 2 hours to complete. Well that is what I was told by the tech. Mine only took 45 min. Please get the fixed before your warranty is up.

2013 Explorer Electrical Problem?

I am constantly having issues with a dead battery. When I open the door and get out with key in hand, the radio spontaneously turns on. Also, I can lock it up using the key fob, but it won't unlock using the key fob. Obviously the radio being on all the time is going to run down the battery. I have been to dealer, but they are unable to figure out why. Has anyone else had similar issues?

I am constantly having issues with a dead battery. When I open the door and get out with key in hand, the radio spontaneously turns on. Also, I can lock it up using the key fob, but it won't unlock using the key fob. Obviously the radio being on all the time is going to run down the battery. I have been to dealer, but they are unable to figure out why. Has anyone else had similar issues?
Welcome to the Forum :wavey:.
It would be very helpful for the members if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so that it shows in the left margin. Depending upon what model you have, I believe there are 3 different radio systems.
After opening the door, are you able to turn the radio off?

As I have indicated, I have moved your thread/post to this existing on on a somewhat similar issue.

Peter

After posting this issue the problem has not returned and seems to have been solved, perhaps by a previous update that may have been performed.

I am constantly having issues with a dead battery. When I open the door and get out with key in hand, the radio spontaneously turns on. Also, I can lock it up using the key fob, but it won't unlock using the key fob...

Hey xray46,

I want to get your regional customer service manager involved so they can help. To get the ball rolling, send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership. I'll get this moved up the line.

Crystal

Hey xray46,

I want to get your regional customer service manager involved so they can help. To get the ball rolling, send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership. I'll get this moved up the line.

Crystal
Hi Crystal. I wasn't sure if this was a 'Crystal' or 'Rebecca' issue. I was tempted to move the thread to the 'IVT' forum if no one jumped in. It seems that Rebecca has had a very quiet time lately in that forum. ;)
Thanks.:thumbsup:

Peter

Hi Crystal. I wasn't sure if this was a 'Crystal' or 'Rebecca' issue. I was tempted to move the thread to the 'IVT' forum if no one jumped in...

No worries, Peter; if you ever have a question about whose "realm" a certain question falls under, I'll be happy to sort it out. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I am facing same issue LCD screen or Radio would not turn off even after ignition stopped and car locked with remote. Eventually As guided by last user i needed to unlock the car and its right door open and close to turn this off. I am new to Ford explorer 2013, please guide what need to be done to get rid off this problem. Niaz

I am facing same issue LCD screen or Radio would not turn off even after ignition stopped and car locked with remote. Eventually As guided by last user i needed to unlock the car and its right door open and close to turn this off. I am new to Ford explorer 2013, please guide what need to be done to get rid off this problem. Niaz
Welcome to the Form Niaz.:wave:
If you check post #31 above, it seems to provid a fix.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back