MY TRANNNY IS DYING! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MY TRANNNY IS DYING!

tac0meat

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 EB 2x4
I think that my tranny is on its last leg, its got 295k miles so i guess its lived its life. it still drives but a lot of grinding clunking and hissing when it is in gear. im taking it to the shop tommorrow to get it looked at. ive heard that there are a lot of upgrades to get done when rebuilding the 91-92 a4ld. does anyone have a list of these upgrades and what to expect at the rebuild? i want this next tranny to take some abuse and still last anybody know how to make it bulletproof?

All I can tell ya is search the site for more on this...there's alot out there...as far as I know the a4ld is one of Fords worst trannies and there isn't alot to do to them...That is all based off what I've read...
Pete

Good Luck

Good Luck with the tranny.

Depends on what you plan to do with your truck. Big tires and lot's of offroading may overload the A4LD. However, your first one lasted over 200K miles.

A4LD and performance aren't usually used in the same sentence though.

You need a good quality tranny shop to help you make a choice though. I know a great shop in Weatherford just in case you want to drive North a little bit.

Austin 3:16
Do a search in the modified explorarations forum. There were alot of posts recently (within past two months) that dealt with upgrading the tranny, etc.

Back