My turn for the RCD | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My turn for the RCD

alright, i was thinking the 302 would make the difference. and yeah... 4.56's and the interstate SUCK. i used to cruise.... but not anymore. i was thinkin of doing an rcd when i got the money, but a sas would cost just as much and i figured i could always have lots of options for upgrades n such, but that means all the work i put into my current diffs was for nothing. so are the rcd spindles and cv's designed to work with 35's? because 35's on stock cv's and bearings is a bit much isnt it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the ex is lookin good bud get that 4x4 set up and you wont have an excuse to miss the fall uwharrie run
pete

mynameisaric said:
alright, i was thinking the 302 would make the difference. and yeah... 4.56's and the interstate SUCK. i used to cruise.... but not anymore. i was thinkin of doing an rcd when i got the money, but a sas would cost just as much and i figured i could always have lots of options for upgrades n such, but that means all the work i put into my current diffs was for nothing. so are the rcd spindles and cv's designed to work with 35's? because 35's on stock cv's and bearings is a bit much isnt it?
The RCD kit does not replace the stock CVs.

BTW nice lookin rear...great choice goin with RCD :thumbsup:

i thought the rcd kit pushed the wheelbase out 4inches? i must be thinking of one of the other coil over kits out there. my bad.

Well the kit is finally on. Everything went smooth except the passenger side kicker bar just barely touches my exhaust and I can't get it bent out of the way anymore. It is sitting at about 6" of lift now but I'm sure it will sag since they are brand new.n Pics to come tonight

Cool! Cant wait to see the pictures.

AWESOME, does this mean your gonna make it to crozet?

Congrats man!

lets see some pics

How long did it take you? Hope you weren't doing it by yourself.

r37ribution said:
Congrats man!

lets see some pics

How long did it take you? Hope you weren't doing it by yourself.

Dont think I'll make it to crozet (money issues and I still need a T case)

Me and a coworker did it at work and It took us a little over 4 hours :p

truck_001.jpg

truck_003.jpg

truck_004.jpg

truck_005.jpg

truck_008.jpg

Which brackets? Both of them have 3-4 bolts in them and they are pretty stout. Also there are gussets welded to both side of the shock tower.

why do you not have your front driveshaft hooked up? was it a problem or do you just not like AWD?

how close was the front diff dropdown bracket to your oil pan? we had to notch mine a little with a grinder so it did not hit.

your not afraid the bolts will rip out if you get a little crazy on the trail?

front driveshaft isn't in because the rear is not regeared yet. Everything fit fine except fot the pass side kicker bar which is about laying on the exhaust.

I dont think it will be possible to rip that bracket out.

what did you regear the front to? 4.10 or 4.56?

also, how much higher does your rear sit than your front? I had to replace my driveshaft after i installed my Deaver leafs as the yoke separated. I could have killed myself, but luckly it came out while i was stopping and going over a bump.

nice. thats pretty sick seein it the way it is.

r37ribution said:
what did you regear the front to? 4.10 or 4.56?

also, how much higher does your rear sit than your front? I had to replace my driveshaft after i installed my Deaver leafs as the yoke separated. I could have killed myself, but luckly it came out while i was stopping and going over a bump.
My rear is about an 1" higher thank the front right now. I still have at least an inch of thread left on the coilovers. Its geared to 4:10. I tried 4:56's on 35s and I didn't like the hwy RPM with the 5.0 (it eats gas)

I am running worn out stock leafs soa so once I get some new leafs in I'll be turning up the coilovers some.

boominXplorer said:
I am running worn out stock leafs soa so once I get some new leafs in I'll be turning up the coilovers some.

Swap in some F150 leafs. I did it and it didnt significantly stiffen the ride and it got the same height as if I had shackles. (meaning I took my shackles off, replaced the leafs and am at the same height)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mountaineergree said:
Swap in some F150 leafs. I did it and it didnt significantly stiffen the ride and it got the same height as if I had shackles. (meaning I took my shackles off, replaced the leafs and am at the same height)

Acually I grabbed some from an 2002 F150 and I'm going to put them in on monday. You just swaped packs right? You didn't exchange leafs?

Back