Mysterious coolant leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mysterious coolant leak

floatingpig

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT V6
Hi everyone!
2002 Explorer Limited 4.6 with rear A/C.
I have noticed coolant loss along with my heat not working that well. I noticed coolant on my driveway, but it is coming from behind the engine (between the engine and transmission). I looked under the car, none of the hoses are leaking or anything like that. Based on the fact that my heat isn't working that well, could this be the heater core leaking? I have also read that sometimes the intake manifolds can crack and cause coolant leaks. I would appreciate a little help knowing where to look!
Thanks a lot! :roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It definitely sounds like the intake manifold. At this point, if it has not been replaced previously it is most likely in need of replacement anyway.

It definitely sounds like the intake manifold. At this point, if it has not been replaced previously it is most likely in need of replacement anyway.

x2
on the backside of the intake usually there will be a hairline crack that extends outside of the gasket. also c look at the thermostat housing and check for leaks. notorious for leaks.

Thanks guys! I have the engine cover off and have looked around, kind of hard to see if there are any leaks on the back of the engine. The area around the thermostat housing is perfectly dry, no signs of leaks.

I will go ahead and order the intake manifold. While I am in there, should I replace the injectors and spark plugs? Those are preventive things I can think of off the top of my head.

Just saw the price per fuel injector...nope, never mind! I think I will do the spark plugs though, $2.48 each from RockAuto. I just got the car so I have no idea if they were ever done and I'm at 132k.

Just did my intake last weekend for the same reason, small crack at the rear of bank 2. I assume you got the Dorman part from RockAuto. Went smooth, just had to reattach the small ground wire at the rear of the fuel rail on bank 1, the wire has an end that slips onto the stud used to hold the rail down but with the Dorman intake you end up using screws to hold the rail down so you lose the stud. Just cut off the connector and put on a loop that goes under the new screw. Other than that it was smooth as could be.

I used the nearest stud on the valve cover to ground mine. Eliminates the need to cut anything off.

As far as heat goes you need to take a look at your heater control valve located on the passenger side of the engine near the valve cover. The vacuum actuated lever pulls free of the housing causing the valve to stay closed, thereby not allowing antifreeze to pass through the heater core. Just a spot I would check.

The hoses to the heater cores are hot, so I assume that means the valve is working letting coolant in. When I top off the coolant the heat seems to come back, so it's a matter of making sure it stays topped off.

I used the nearest stud on the valve cover to ground mine. Eliminates the need to cut anything off.

The reason for that wire is to have the injector rail grounded, as it's screwed into a plastic intake that's the only way it would be.

Back