Mysterious coolant leak | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mysterious coolant leak

There might be seepage during the contracting & expanding process. Did you check the head gasket & bolts?
No, engine disassembly will cost me $1500. There is no very obvious sign of head gasket leak. No oil and coolant in each other, just minor condensation on underside of oil cap, no bubble in coolant, just slight white smoke and a few drips for a little while after start and never overheating. The mechanic said coolant maybe going straight to exhaust system dur to an engine crack. I bought this car for 10K dollars this year, is it worth a 1.5K-2.5K dollars repair? Or try a bottle of Bars Leak first?

Finally, it is an internal leak. No.1 spark plug is little bit rusty, and after head was removed, I saw No.1 cylinder chamber is cleaner. It should be the head gasket, but the mechanic said head still needs to be tested to see if it is cracked or warped. Also I ask mechanic to change timing chain and water pump by the way, almost no additional labour cost. Thank all of you for suggestions and support.

Back