• Register Today It's free!

Mystery OEM Radio Connectors?

strubby

Reaction score
City, State
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT 4.6L 4x4
This is for an '03 XLT 4 Door, I have both Scosche FD16B and Scosche FDK106 and neither work. The OEM radio has THREE plugs. A triple pin square, double pin rectangle and small double pin square. I've been searching and looked on Crutchfield. It does not have a factory sub that I know of, no OEM RCA plug. I bought my girlfriend a headunit, harness (two now) and dash kit and can't install the damn thing! ha. Stereo shops are closed today and Best Buy was no help. This can't be the only Explorer with this harness. NO steering wheel controls by the way...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ExplorerHarness.jpg

Here is a picture. The 12V constant, Ignition and Ground are tapped into for the rear DVD player it looks like. There's also some silver box that is plugged into the OEM antenna with a spare antenna plug and a black wiring running somewhere... maybe to the DVD player, but I don't know why it's hooked into the factory antenna. Anyways, that doesn't explain the three mystery plugs I have.

ExplorerHarness001.jpg

Sort of... the small square plug is empty on the OEM radio, but has 4 wires from the harness side. I just tried the FD16B single plug and it connected to the rectangle plug of the harness. The big square plug has two wires from it, and a bunch of pins from the OEM radio, so I dunno what they're for. I'll plug in my Pioneer with only the one plug connected and report back.

Those are standard t-100 world connectors. They are used on 98 and up 2nd gen explorers.

4 Wires, you should be wired for a stock OEM sub enclosure, now if you have a matching radio and the Sub unit you don't have to run wires. But if not, they must have run out on the assembly line or something and used parts on hand . .. . you got an extra harness.
this might help?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246610

So the basic single plug harness worked fine, connected to the OEM rectangle plug. It had a basic single CD/cassette OEM headunit, no sub or anything. I was really confused when I pulled it out and looked at the OEM plugs, v.s. what I read online and the aftermarket plug options. So, according to what I'd figured out and what you guys say, I have an odd-ball wiring setup. My problem is solved, the Pioneer H/U is in and the speakers sound considerably better, but I was still confused on the extra plugs and wires! Thanks for the help guys, hopefully this will help someone else out who pulls their radio and wonders why there's three plugs instead of one...

Back