Mystery vacuum line connection 4.0L SOHC 1997 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mystery vacuum line connection 4.0L SOHC 1997

Peanut74

Reaction score
City, State
Prattville, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT; 325,000 miles
I have a vacuum line that I have been trying to figure out for a couple of days but no luck so I thought maybe someone on here might be able to help me out.

What I have is a 1997 4.0L SOHC that was built in 11/1996. The part I am trying to figure out is that there is a Tee fitting, located on the passenger valve cover, on the line that goes from the vacuum manifold (octopus) to the vacuum reserve (baseball looking thing). The problem is I have looked all over and see no signs of a missing vacuum hose or someplace a vacuum line should connect to.

As near as I can tell the mystery line is not for the "max A/C" heater solenoid and it not the one that goes to the vent control. I have even been checking at the various junk yards and have yet to find one with this tee fitting on the vacuum line.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That line usually has a straight fitting in it. Maybe someone broke it and swapped in whatever they could find.

That is what I was thinking but wanted to be sure. Tracing the vacuum lines is next to impossible because of the way they are run.

Have you looked at the vacuum schematic that's under the hood? (passenger side)

Bill

Yes, I did look at it and tried to trace out the lines but it didn't make any sense to me because of all the abbreviations. The other reason is that my vents quite working at about the same time. I went ahead and plugged the line in question I then checked all the lines and after I reversed the lines on vacuum reserve tank everything is now working.

Well looks like the straight was replaced by a T fitting. I made all the connections the way I believed it should be and everything has been running.

Back