• Register Today It's free!

Navigation Issue

bluex232

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
I posted this in the audio/nav section, but did not get any replies, so I figured I would try over here and see what everyone thinks...

Sorry if this has been asked, I tried a search and didn't find anything. We just purchased a 2013 Ford Explorer. It did not have the Navigation or Remote Start included. The dealer adv us that we could purchase both from them. So we did, they got the Remote start set up (which is just a new set of keys since apparently they all come with the remote start function built in) but they have not been able to get the Navigation set up. They worked on it for 2 days and finally just gave me my money and Explorer back and said they would contact me if they found a fix for this. I get that the Navigation system is on an SD card and they have set it up on other vehicles before, but apparently this is the first 2013 Explorer that they have tried...has anyone else had this installed on theirs or have any idea why it would not be working... I am new to the site, so if this is the wrong place to post this I appologize. Thank you!

Ok, so after some research I found that Ford does not allow you to purchase Navigation after the fact...that the setting on the car has to be turned on in the factory and cannot be turned on after that...Has any body heard any news as to if this will be an added feature in the future? The more I read about people using the navigation and going on trips the more bummed I am that my Ex doesn't have it. The dealer originally said we could get it after the fact (since Navigation was one of the things on my wishlist). I really would have thought a little more about purchasing the one I got if I would have known that in fact I could not purchase it. I really hope this is something offered in the near future. I guess I really don't understand why Ford would not offer it after the fact to those that did not order their vehicles custom built...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Navigation cannot (as you discovered) be added after the vehicle has left the factory. I am unsure of the exact reason for this (licensing??), as Ford representatives have indicated that the necessary hardware is present in MFT equipped vehicles. It is a purely software related matter. The same representative indicated that with the proper software installed, Navigation could be added, but that option has not been made available at this point, though it could be in the future. No date or timeline was given, so I would not hold your breath, but the possibility does exist, and seems to have been discussed internally at Ford.

Get Cory involved. Seems to me the dealer should take the Ex back and order you what you wanted in the first place instead of trying to sell you a model and saying will add the stuff later.

...Ok, so after some research I found that Ford does not allow you to purchase Navigation after the fact...
Navigation cannot (as you discovered) be added after the vehicle has left the factory...
bluex232 & VinceL,

The navigation can’t be added after the factory because the hardware is different, not just the software.

Get Cory involved...
Thanks for the shout-out, GWA1!

Cory

Thanks for the clarification Cory. Rebecca had said something a while back that the hardware was there, but the software made the difference. It's understandable if the hardware is missing that a simple update cannot be done.

bluex232 & VinceL,

The navigation can’t be added after the factory because the hardware is different, not just the software.

Cory

Thanks for the replies everyone...I wish all the dealers were aware of this. Not only did the sales guy think this was possible, but the Service Dept did as well (they tried for a day and a half to get it working...said they had been on the phone with tech guys most of the day trying to get it setup.)

Can you tell me when this happened? is this recent? not only has Cory posted that the equipment is the same, Ford was saying it in press releases a couple years ago and it has been reported as being the same by other third parties.

However, until your post I have only seen Ford press releases and Cory's posts say that the equipment was the same.

Though Ford was still not making it available.

bluex232 & VinceL,

Thanks for the shout-out, GWA1!

Cory

Yea reading this article sure makes it sound like it is an easy install...apparently not the case...??

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=31704

And this one too says GPS unit is standard with myford touch starting 2010...so did they remove this for 2013? Seems like a crummy deal if they did...

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=33358

The first linked article says in the beginning
"FORD MAKES NAVIGATION STANDARD ON MYFORD, SYNC-EQUIPPED VEHICLES
•Navigation features will be standard on all Ford vehicles with MyFordTM and SYNC® with no extra hardware upgrades needed, making Ford the first automaker to compete with offerings from the hand-held navigation market
•MyFord vehicle interface will have basic graphical turn-by-turn directions standard, with full map-based navigation delivered by Secure Digital (SD) card, eliminating the need for expensive, specialized navigation DVD drives and displays
•Map-based SD card navigation builds on current SYNC Traffic, Directions & Information application, which delivers personalized traffic reports, precise turn-by-turn directions and up-to-date information including business listings, news, sports and weather – without the need for built-in navigation systems
" Sounds like NAV is built in. Further down in the article
"Map-based SD card navigation builds upon SYNC with Traffic, Directions and Information. The current system leverages industry-leading voice-recognition software, integrated GPS technology and a Bluetooth®-capable mobile phone to deliver personalized traffic reports, precise turn-by-turn directions and up-to-date information including business listings, news, sports and weather – without the need for a built-in navigation system." Very confusing. SD card means NAV. Blue tooth means SYNC. Then says without built in nav which means SYNC.
Unless I'm missing something...:confused:
The second linked article is talking about SYNC not Nav. SYNC needs GPS too.
" •Traffic, Directions & Information •Launched for 2010 model year along with the addition of a GPS receiver as standard SYNC hardware"

Yeah, that is kinda corn-fusing the way it is worded. I think the key words are:

Map-based SD card = navigation

Sync with bluetooth phone = turn-by-turn directions

They will both get you to a destination, but by rather different methods. I do find it interesting that the GPS receiver is included on both systems (as would make sense, because regardless of route source, the car still needs to know where it is at for any of this to function). What other than a GPS receiver and map data does a navigation system require? Also, if the hardware is not there for Nav, does that mean the GPS receiver is not included with Sync. If that is the case, when doing turn-by-turn directions, how does the car know where it is at? Then again, maybe they are utilizing 2 different types of GPS receivers?? Who knows. All that matters in the end is that if you didn't buy it with Navigation, you are SOL :(

:thumbsup:

...Though Ford was still not making it available.
Yea reading this article sure makes it sound like it is an easy install...apparently not the case...??...
...Unless I'm missing something...:confused:...
Yeah, that is kinda corn-fusing the way it is worded. I think the key words are:

Map-based SD card = navigation

Sync with bluetooth phone = turn-by-turn directions...
Hey guys,

I checked with my tech advisor and that’s what he said.

Cory

Thanks Cory. I think that we are a bit bewildered by the apparent change in stance on whether this is possible or not. :)

We'll let you off....this time.... ;)

Back