Need a little help getting the dash apart | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need a little help getting the dash apart

Chris91

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 SPORT 4.0
I'm gonna' be changing the factory head unit in my '91 Sport. I have a nice Kenwood CD player to go in its place. As I was searching through the threads I found out how to remove the factory unit with the right "tools" but I didn't find any dicussions on how to get the dash apart. On the '91 Explorers there are two screws down by the ash-tray that appear to be the only ones holding the dash piece on that surrouds the head unit, and the gauges. I don't see any others. Is that all that's holding this thing on or what? I don't want to break this thing.
Thanks in advance for anybody's help!!!
chris91

i cant help u with talking the dash apart sry...but why do u need the dash off anyway?

Well, do you mean to take the WHOLE dash apart or just take the radio section out for easy access??

If just the radio part then try this thread.

Radio Removal.

Hope that helps.

I FIGURED IT OUT!!! MY NEW UNIT'S INSTALLED!!!
Just in case anybody was wondering... the face-plate on the factory head unit is slightly larger than the opening in the dash piece that surrounds it. You would think that you could slide the original unit out through the opening... but you cant do it! At least not in this case ('91 Sport).
I removed those 2 screws down by the ash tray... then I carefully pulled the trim piece back from the rest of the dash, and it simply popped off! It's held on with clips that are a lot like the ones that hold inner door pannels on.
All said and done... it took me about an hour to do the whole job. Of course anybody who really knew what they were doing could do it in a half-hour.
But I appreciate you guys who responded... even though we were'nt sure how to tackle this job. Thanks!!!
Chris91

Back