Need a new Condenser, anything else? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need a new Condenser, anything else?

Reaction score
City, State
Leesburg, va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Limited
Condenser has a leak and needs to be replace (2003 Mountaineer).

Do I need to replace the accumulator and orifice tube also? Anything else I should replace?

Should I put 1oz of oil into the accumulator?

Thanks for the help,

Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IF your system has leaked out and it's been like that for awhile........well, I'd get the condenser, accumulator, orifice tube, O ring assortment, oil and R-134a.

You'll also maybe want to flush the evaporator since it's all apart. If you do that, put some oil back in it before sealing things up.

And yes..........when you put the new condenser back in, put some oil in it too.

Taken from the Haynes Book…..

Rule of Thumb Guide for Adding Oil to Individual Components

If no major oil loss has occurred, and if only a single component must be replaced, oil can be added to the system by putting it into specific components. Use the amounts shown below:

Condenser - 1 ounce
Receiver-drier - 1 ounce
Desiccant bag in VIR - 1 ounce plus the amount drained from the receiver-drier
Evaporator - 3 ounces
Accumulator
a) Ford - 1 ounce plus the amount measured
b) General Motors
1) DA-6 - 3 ounces plus the amount measured
2) A-6, R-4 or V5 - 2 ounces plus the amount measured
It's important to note that, since oil distributes itself throughout the system during operation, it isn't absolutely necessary to add oil to the component being replaced. With one exception, as long as the amount of oil lost during the replacement procedure is added somewhere, the system will be fine. The exception? The compressor. If the compressor is being replaced, always put the oil into the compressor and not somewhere else.

At the top of the page is the NAPA sticky for the capacity of the system.

Aloha, Mark

Thanks for all the information Mark. This will get me going today.

might as well do as much as you can, while the system is empty and has to be serviced anyway. Saves grief later.

I am having to replace everything on my 2003 explorer, but I am having a hard time finding the orifice tube. Do you have any advice?

Back