• Register Today It's free!

need advice on blown head gaskets

97splorer

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0 AWD
My wife has a 99' Isuzu Rodeo with about 45k on it and a couple of months ago her head gaskets blew. The dealership fixed it (still under warranty), but I could have swore I still smelled coolant. The check engine light came on and we took it back in to have it checked. They said it was fine and we were probably smelling the air freshner!!! Then two weeks later the head gaskets blew out again. I think the head has to be warped and putting on new gaskets won't fix it. Anyway the service dept. said they are debating weather or not to fix the gaskets or replace the engine. What should I do to ensure it gets fixed the right way?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If they can't get the head gasket fixed, I say a new engine would be the way to go. I wish I had the chance to get a new engine :rolleyes:

Shane

If you are not a wrench-head then take it to a good mechanic, have him look at it and give you a recommendation. Tell them your situation, you may even want to get another opinion.

If the head gasket has blown a second time either the engine has real problems or the head gasket repair was not done correctly. If they want to change engines insist on a remanufacturered or new (crate) engine.

The car is still under Factory Warranty so I cant touch it or take it anywhere else to have it looked at, or they will void it. I probably don't even have a say in what kind of engine goes in it if replaced. All I know is that dealerships suck...it has taken them 3 days to diagnose the problem and they still aren't sure what is wrong with it. They cant find where the gasket failed.

Originally posted by 97splorer
The car is still under Factory Warranty so I cant touch it or take it anywhere else to have it looked at, or they will void it. I probably don't even have a say in what kind of engine goes in it if replaced. All I know is that dealerships suck...it has taken them 3 days to diagnose the problem and they still aren't sure what is wrong with it. They cant find where the gasket failed.

If you believe what you just wrote than you are going to get screwed. Dealerships will typically do as little as possible. You should have your own mechanic diagonse the problem, not repair it. You then need to speak to the shop manager, may or may not help. You then need to put pressure on them to do the repairs properly and timely. Remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease. You will need to control your emotions, but if you become enough of a pain in the ass to the service manager you can usually get what you want. You may need to complain to the manufacturer. Good luck.

Back