• Register Today It's free!

Blown head gaskets??

Explorer94GV

Reaction score
City, State
Springdale, Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XLT 97' XLT AWD V8
Well that is what 2 people have described my problem as but i would like to make sure. I have a 94 X with 117k about 3k i had the engine rebuilt. I had recently took my X on a springbreak trip and once i got there smoke was coming from the engine. My altenators ground some how stuck to my heater hose burning a hole in it having it lose tons of coolant. I had it towed back purchase the new heater hose put it back on and topped off the radiator with 50/50 mix. I began to drive it around and about 10 mins. later i all of a sudden lose power and billows of smoke are coming out of the muffler. I look under the car and 2 small holes from the muffler are leaking radiator coolant. So my ?s are is this blown head gaskets? Is their a site/ good manual i can purchase to show me how to replace these? Should i do this myself or have a shop do it for $300? Could my exhaust system be clogged and need to be replaced? thxs for any help

With radiator fluid coming of the exhaust..I think that tells alot

Find out exaclty what is wrong with it before you get quotes on a headgasket.

I just went through his two months or so ago with my 94 about 105K
only I noticed faint smell of coolant in exhaust at start up
I did a leak down test and found exactly where the leak was.

Your case sound pretty straight forward but if you want to confirm it or scope in on it , a leak down will tell you where...block tester isn't going to do you much good - it a "yes or no" thing

When my gasket went I had a few choices at 105K.

Tear it it down myself and fix it ....gaskets are expensive its a lot of time and who knows what else I would find or miss Something else could be old tired in there.
Pandoria's Box Senerio 1.

Take it to someone to replace the gasket - its a lot of labor ..that too would be very expensive and who knows he would find or think he found. Something else could be old tired in there +105k is not DOA but its doesn't have 75K on it
Pandoria's box Senerio 2

If you want to keep it:
I would check out a remanufactured engine (Ford...Jaspers can work) I had a shop put it in $3K.... turnkey. I could have put it in myself but you gotta know when to stop...I think

Now, I'm not worrying too much about have engine problems.... if you "do the math" (I hate that expression but) Good money after bad may rears it';s ugly head.
It may also give you the opportunity to keep it longer than you thought you could. Better resale?

After "the math" and the Pandoria's box senerios...I am still happy with my decsion.

Maybe not what you want to hear... but just a thought.
Life has many options

Best suggestion I can offer
Good Luck

PS $300 at a shop for a head gasket seems "light" at least in my area. Who knows what you may be walking into. Remember: Is it just the headgasket or a head...or something else?
A compressor is needed to make "leak down" work .....or just have some one else do it.

Back