Need an Auto Transmission in Charlotte NC area | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need an Auto Transmission in Charlotte NC area

Coosfaba

Reaction score
City, State
Mooresville, North Carolina "Race City USA" NASCAR Country
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer XLT 4X4 sroof
My auto trans. in my 93 Explorer XLT 4X4 went today. It hardly moves. So I need a used working trans. or a rebuilt one cheap if I can find one. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might want to check with a repair shop.

My transmission is working fine but I talked to a guy who owns a fairly large shop and he says for what you pay for a locally rebuilt A4LD he can get a Ford factory certified rebuilt with all the upgrades and mods. Just a thought.

What Transmission do I have?

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 with a 4spd. Automatic transmission. Tranny went yesterday. Trying to find out which one. The auto parts guy told me there are more than one auto tranny offered for that vehicle. I looked at the inside of the drivers side door. Under Transmission it just has a T. I just got this vehicle about a week ago and I never had trouble with any of my GM cars transmissions before. I hear of a lot of people complaining about tranny problems with these Explorer's. Is this common for Ford or just Explorer's? I'm ready to get my shotgun and shoot this thing! I may just go back to GM and get a reliable vehicle.

The problem with the A4LD is.......

they got a bad rap when they first came out. Most folks don't have a problem. I have about 150,000 mi. on mine and have had no problems other than a leak in the pan seal. They have upgraded the tranny and most folks that have the upgrade, from what I understand have no problems. One thing I would do though, is make sure you do not tow overdrive. That will just about crew it up every time. I suspect that what ever did in your tranny was done well before you got it. Does your rig have a tow package? That is the first sign it may have been abused while towing. The upgrades that Ford does makes the tranny better than when it was new.

they got a bad rap when they first came out. Most folks don't have a problem. I have about 150,000 mi. on mine and have had no problems other than a leak in the pan seal. They have upgraded the tranny and most folks that have the upgrade, from what I understand have no problems. One thing I would do though, is make sure you do not tow overdrive. That will just about crew it up every time. I suspect that what ever did in your tranny was done well before you got it. Does your rig have a tow package? That is the first sign it may have been abused while towing. The upgrades that Ford does makes the tranny better than when it was new.

Yes it does have a tow package. I think I found a rebuilt tranny for about $800 complete with a brand new torque converter. The guy I bought this vehicle from last week, kind of warned me about the tranny, but he said it just needs to be checked. I only paid $800 for it and everything else works perfect except the fuel guage doesn't work. I will give this vehicle a chance, because I like the engine and the way it handles for an SUV. The 4X4 is awesome. The sun roof also helps on nice days. So for $1600 and the fuel guage cost, I guess it's still a good deal.

if that trans does not work out have a look on www.car-part.com it's a database of auto recyclers and I was just pricing 4x4 auto trans there and saw some as cheap as 350-400 dollars. I've had good luck getting parts thru that site when need be.

Welcome to EF neighbor!

If your looking for parts and rebuild kits try a place called "Whatever it Takes Transmission Parts" they are located north side of charlotte and have good prices.

I picked my 93 up on Monday and the tranny went out after I registered it from DMV. All the tranny fluid gushed out and had to be tow back home. Now it just sit at my driveway. I only see quote of 1400.00 and up here in Charlotte and Union County area. I've paid 800.00 for mine but have a 94 running though. Kind of the same situation you got. It cannot even go 2 miles and all the tranny fluid shoots out from under again. Something is running hot to cause that. Any inputs? Thanks!

I picked my 93 up on Monday and the tranny went out after I registered it from DMV. All the tranny fluid gushed out and had to be tow back home. Now it just sit at my driveway. I only see quote of 1400.00 and up here in Charlotte and Union County area. I've paid 800.00 for mine but have a 94 running though. Kind of the same situation you got. It cannot even go 2 miles and all the tranny fluid shoots out from under again. Something is running hot to cause that. Any inputs? Thanks!

possibly a front pump bushing, front seal, torque converter, I have heard that is a common problem with these trans, It happened to me a couple years back 67 miles on my new tires and it blew all the tranny fluid out of the front seal

I just ordered a rebuilt trans. (A4LD) from e-bay for $780 even. That includes a rebuilt trans, a brand new torque converter and shipping. No core charge either. Should be here in a few days. I'll let you know how everything worked out, next week. :usa:

I also paid $800. for my X, so for less than $1600., it's still a good deal.

01150401040401160620071111946e285ca.jpg

My tranny came yesterday from UPS. It was suposed to come in two seperate pieces (Tranny and torque converter) but of course I only got the tranny so far. Just got off the phone with UPS and they are trying to locate it now. Yes, it was sent out because it has a seperate tracking number. The thing that burns me is the UPS guy just threw the crate across the truck and put a big gash in the side of the crate. Tranny looks ok though. I used to work for UPS (driving the brown truck) and so did my brother, and we never abused our deliveries like that. Must be hiring monkeys' now. :monkey:
:usa:

Go to e-bay and punch in 170172617653 in the search box at the very top of the page, and the guy's (person who rebuilds tranny's) post is up there. His phone numbers are listed, so you can talk to him personally. John

Was on the phone with UPS twice, today. They lost my Torque converter. They can't find it anywhere even though it has a tracking Number. Called the people who sent it to me and they seem like upstanding folks and said that it was insured and if there's any problem, and UPS can't find it by tomorrow, they will ship me out a new one at no extra cost to me. Shyt happens. Just a heads up. This of course will delay the install because there is no way I'm going to rush this job and put in the old converter. I will let everyone know what happens after I get it running. If everything's good, then I can recommend these people. UPS has really changed since my brother and I left.
:usa: John

Welcome to EF neighbor!

If your looking for parts and rebuild kits try a place called "Whatever it Takes Transmission Parts" they are located north side of charlotte and have good prices.

Got caught up in the stress of all this and say thanks neighbor! I may deal with them in the future for some parts. :chug:

Well, here it is a week and 2 days after the Transmission arrived and the second torque converter came today. UPS dropped the ball on the first one but at least the shipper was honest enough to send another one. Good thing they insured it. Next step is installing it and that will have to wait until a mechanic we know can get to it in a week or two. He's going to charge me $300 to install it if I buy the fluid. I guess that's not bad considering he has to drop the transfer case and reinsall it to the rebuilt tranny.
My fuel guage doesn't work either so he said if I buy the sending unit and pump kit ($110. from AutoZone) he'll do that job for $80. :usa:

Can't wait to get my X back on, or should I say off road.

Finally, I got my transmission installed and it works great! Now the tach reads 2000 rpms at 65 mph instead of 3000 rpms. The Overdrive should save a significant amount of fuel, plus save a lot of stress on the motor. This tranny will get regular maintenance. Can't wait to use the 4X4 again. Let it snow. :usa:

If you don't mind me asking, what shop did the install on your Explorer? Mine still sitting on the driveway. Kind of scare to pluck in the cash and fine out something else. Good luck and glad you're on the road!

If you don't mind me asking, what shop did the install on your Explorer? Mine still sitting on the driveway. Kind of scare to pluck in the cash and fine out something else. Good luck and glad you're on the road!

A local shop here in Mooresvilles NC (25 miles North of Charlotte). His business name is "Dewayne's Automotive, INC." 108 Lost Tree lane Mooresville, NC 28115 Phone no.: (704) 663-3544. He actually charged me $350 for the install, plus he supplied the fluids and even changed the fluid in the transfer case and towed it from my house to his shop for a grand total of $427.22 with tax, out the door price. Dewayne is a stand up guy and always does a good job.

Hope you get your's back on the road soon, also. John

Where I got my rebuilt Transmission

E-bay. Yes, believe it or not! From Greg's Towing out of KY. He's been in business for 23 years. I got a: Rebuilt Trans. (A4LD fits- 91-94 Ford Explorer 4X4) Automatic Transmission
He installed New clutches, Seals, all new Rubber, Filter and Pump. He guarantees it not to leak and to shift correctly.

I also got from him a brand new Torque Converter.

Guaranteed for six months.

Final price for everything with shipping, out the door. $780.

Got it in 3 days by UPS ground and the only hitch was that UPS lost the torque converter ( shipped seperately) but sent another one a week later.

So far everything works perfect and is smooth as silk.

Phone no. for Greg's Towing: (606) 255-0508 (Work no.)

(606) 286- 6900 (Home No.)

They delivered what they said they would and backed it up. Good to see there is still honosty in business. - John Porcello, Mooresville NC :thumbsup: :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Transmission is still working great. I knew I found a good one. This truck is smooth and tight with no surprises and the factory sun roof doesn't leak even after a heavy downpour! Now we need snow. :usa:

Back