Need Assistance - Unable to solve cooling problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Assistance - Unable to solve cooling problem

Everet

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ford Explorer 4.0L 2WD
Hello.
Newbie.
I hope someone can help me.
96 Explorer 6 cylinder 4.0L 250,000 miles Broken Temp Gauge

I "was" leaking coolant but the engine ran just fine so long as I topped off the radiator.

I assumed the coolant leak resulted from a failing water pump weeping hole so I bought new pump at Advance Auto and installed it.

The explorer engine began to thump after heating up and the water leak continued. I identified a hole in the upper heater hose. The hole was small and concealed by the braided protective sleave. I replaced the heater hose with a OEM replacement. I also replaced the temp sender and temp sensor & bought a new radiator cap.

The leak stopped but the engine still thumped after heating up and the "check gauge light would go on and off about 8 times during a 4 mile road test.

I replaced the thermostat. The engine still thumps.

I've attempted to purge air out of cooling system by running engine with radiator cap off and watching some air come out of system. I've topped it off repeatidily. Engine still thumps when warm/hot and check gauge light comes on and off.

When I spin the fan & clutch by hand the fan will rotate about 3/4 of a turn before the blade stops spinning.

Can anyone help me resolve why the engine thumps and seems to run hot still?

Back