Need balljoints for the '99... confused on MOOG parts... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need balljoints for the '99... confused on MOOG parts...

Hey, dumb question - someone mentioned that the passenger side is a two-piece control arm?

Both of my control arms on my '99 look identical, the one-piece deal.

Did some '99s get the two-piece design, and others got the one-piece?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your two piece must have been changed over to a one piece at one time.

OK, well, if I'm going to be replacing all of this stuff (both lowers, and the driver's upper need replaced - if I'm going to be tearing stuff apart, I might as well replace the passenger upper, as well), should I revert back to the two-piece style?

At Rock Auto, they show a Moog 1 5/8 Caster/Camber Cam Bolt Kit, #K80065. This kit shows 4 round cams and 2 bolts, 4 washers, and 2 nuts.

Does anybody know for sure if this is enough to do both upper control arms, or just one?

That would be for just one side. You need two kits to do both sides.

Ok, so how many of you guys out there found that you actually needed the caster/camber kit? And how many were able to align your Explorer without it and be well within specs?

Just had my 99 aligned Saturday. It wouldn't have aligned properly without them. It didn't need much...but it needed more than stock would handle.

They aren't that expensive, and you can install them in an afternoon easy with simple hand tools. Even with Torque Monsters, all you need is a cutoff wheel for the right front bolt and install that bolt from the opposite direction.

I found one control arm new on Ebay for under 50, and the other from Amazon.com for 83. Amazon also had the 1 5/8 camber kits for 25 each. Rock auto came in 2nd at 91 each for the arms, and 24 for the cambers.

I went ahead and got 2 camber kits. Figure it's cheaper to get it over with than hope it comes out ok.

Part numbers are Moog K8708T (left), K8710T (right), and K80065 (1 5/8 camber bolt kit - 2 required).

So you run the new camber bolt in backwards on the drivers side? How do you rough-in the alignment, to get it close for the trip to the alignment rack?

Back