Need help from experienced D44 SAS'rs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help from experienced D44 SAS'rs

you don't move them on the axle, I think what everyone is talking about is moving the whole axle ahead, in which all you do is move the coil buckets further up the frame rail. Or I think what jrg is saying, is to space out the coil buckets away from the frame rail, so the coils line up correctly.
please correct me if I'm wrong

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ohe_boy said:
How do you move the coil spring mounts? Are they still sitting on top the radius arm mounts?
I have seen a few setups with homemade brackets, on the rad arms, that move the lower coil bucket towards the center on both sides. It is just a "relocation" bracket that moves the coil in an inch or two.

Here is the lower coil spring perch, the bolts are off center, from what I have read people redrill new bolt holes about 1 " or so to the other side.

Attachments

• IM001040.JPG
    IM001040.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 161

So let me get this right....

Both lower coil spring mounts are sticking out about 3" on each side. To compensate for this: 1) a bracket is fab'ed so that the upper coil buckets sticks out, lets say 2" more. And 2) a bracket is fab'ed so that the lower coil mounts move in, lets say 1".

This is one method of attempting to align the coil springs? BUT BEFORE YOU ANSWER THIS.... If you were to line up the D44 to the Expo frame (so that 3" sticks out on both sides; which makes the axle 6" longer then the TTB) I believe that the pumpkin is about an inch to the right (compared to the TTB) is this slight angle ok for off road?

Correct me if I'm wrong!!!

I'm doing my sas with a 79 d44...basically the same axle. If you use a set of 70-73 f100 2wd spring buckets they space the spring out enough to mount the axle with no modifications. :D That's what i'm going to do. I'm also exending my ra's 8-12"s while pushing the axle up about 4"s...like trckmagic did ;).

jrgaylor said:
Here is the lower coil spring perch, the bolts are off center, from what I have read people redrill new bolt holes about 1 " or so to the other side.

Ohhhh... I see. I have my axle apart right now so I don't have a idea of how it was mounted. But in the picture I see the "excess" is on the outer edge near the knuckle so there's plenty of room to move the coil mounts about an inch in.

Thanks jrgaylor!

CodePoet said:
I'm doing my sas with a 79 d44...basically the same axle. If you use a set of 70-73 f100 2wd spring buckets they space the spring out enough to mount the axle with no modifications. :D That's what i'm going to do. I'm also exending my ra's 8-12"s while pushing the axle up about 4"s...like trckmagic did ;).

Speaking of which... How do you move the axle foward? Do you mount the coil buckets further up the frame?

Yep, you change where the upper buckets mount from what I understand. Since i'm extending my ra's that'll push the axle forward depending on where I put the ra mounts. I'm not really sure what to do with the steering box yet, i haven't gotten tat far in my reasearch haha.

CodePoet said:
If you use a set of 70-73 f100 2wd spring buckets they space the spring out enough to mount the axle with no modifications. :D
So the 70-73 f100 2wd upper coil buckets will space it out 3"? Or do you also have to move in the lower coil mount in as JR said?

AWESOME, I'll keep an eye out for those. Thanks cp! :)

no prob bud :D if you find two sets i might take one off your hands lol

The junkyard that is near me only has a 68 and 77+ Ford trucks(None with a 44). The one that is about 45-50 minutes away has SEVERAL Ford trucks. About seven 78-79 ford trucks and broncos. I don't know when I'll go, because I want to bring enough money to buy a axle or two. :D I just found out that the 2wd buckets are riveted on. IDK if the junkyard I go to (Pull-A-Part) allows you to bring in drills, but I know that saws are a no no. :rolleyes:

Yeah I know how that is. I'm sure I can find some around here, that's alot of extra work for you anyways ;)

Well if you find an extra set before I go, let me know and I'll probably buy them from you. ;)

haha ok will do!

Anybody know what to do with the steering box when you move the axle foward?

Not yet...we need tolook at truckmagics rig, his is moved forward.

CP, how far are you into the SAS?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back