Need help identifying a part. Big round tube under bellhousing. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help identifying a part. Big round tube under bellhousing.

MyExplorer03v8Lim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.6L
It's a big round cement filled tube under the bellhousing. It's shaped like a wide horseshoe.

An (evidently) hack mechanic needed to drop my tranny, and to do so he sawzalled through this giant tube then welded it back in. His crappy welds are failing now and it's about to snap off.

I can't find any specs on this part, so if anyone knows it, please help me identify it.

Side note, he also snapped off all of the vertical bolts securing the tranny crossmember, so it's only held on by the horizontal bolts which I fear may shear off at any time. Bonus if you can get me any specs on those bolts. Is there a nut or do they thread to the frame? Part number?

Thanks explorers!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. That's the front cross-member, and it IS essential to be on the vehicle as it's part of the frame.
2. It does appear to be bolt-on but I'm not 100% on that, not sure why he'd saw it off especially with there being cement inside. If it isn't bolt-on then it surely wouldn't need to be removed to remove something like the transmission or even engine. I would definitely argue this case to this mechanic. Is he/she registered, insured? Proper business or under the table? If threatening him with action won't work I'd contact an attorney and weigh your costs. There might be something you can do.
3. Your only other option is if it is bolt-on, get one from a yard, it won't be $800, maybe $50-100? Make sure the truck wasn't in a collision and that you'll be able to unbolt it with hand tools.

Best of luck

@MyExplorer03v8Lim

I wrote: "The part shown, if that's the one removed, is definitely important. It ties the two sides of the main frame together, to limit flexing which would otherwise be "felt" by the engine. The engine block is a weak part in comparison, and subjecting it to carrying the frame deflection would be stupidity. imp"

mbrando is absolutely right. Leaving the crossmember off is inviting disaster. imp

@MyExplorer03v8Lim

I wrote: "The part shown, if that's the one removed, is definitely important. It ties the two sides of the main frame together, to limit flexing which would otherwise be "felt" by the engine. The engine block is a weak part in comparison, and subjecting it to carrying the frame deflection would be stupidity. imp"

mbrando is absolutely right. Leaving the crossmember off is inviting disaster. imp
Thanks for your reply. I found and pulled one from a junk yard and I am chomping at the bit to get it into my exp. Weekend can't come soon enough, and I'm not driving it until I put it in.

1. That's the front cross-member, and it IS essential to be on the vehicle as it's part of the frame.
2. It does appear to be bolt-on but I'm not 100% on that, not sure why he'd saw it off especially with there being cement inside. If it isn't bolt-on then it surely wouldn't need to be removed to remove something like the transmission or even engine. I would definitely argue this case to this mechanic. Is he/she registered, insured? Proper business or under the table? If threatening him with action won't work I'd contact an attorney and weigh your costs. There might be something you can do.
3. Your only other option is if it is bolt-on, get one from a yard, it won't be $800, maybe $50-100? Make sure the truck wasn't in a collision and that you'll be able to unbolt it with hand tools.

Best of luck
I forgot the penetrating oil, but amazingly 3 outta four bolts came out no problem. The 4th rolled over because for some reason it was 1mm smaller than the rest. Sawzalled it out. Then I decided I don't know how my bolts will come out of my exp, so I better pull one more bolt from another truck in the yard. Got under it and started pulling them. They looked so much better than the other ones I took all 4. The cross member was less rusted too, so I tossed it back on the truck. Now I have 7 bolts to choose from along with a really nice looking crossmember. All for $10!

I did almost crush myself when it slipped off the stand, but hey, comes with the territory. Next time I won't trust my jack stands in oily soil without a block of wood under them.

Look up some reviews for that website. It's a fu%*ing nightmare. Almost gave them my money last week. Ended up finding the part at a junkyard and pulled it myself for $10.

Sorry, Didn't mean to suggest that I was recommending that website. I just posted it because it showed the correct picture for that part number, and you had two threads running on the same topic with the same number posted in both. From that I inferred that you either didn't understand, or didn't believe the previous replies. My bad.

Happy you found one. Welding a torsion bar of any type is a bad idea. I'm glad you didn't follow your mechanics advice.

Back