Need Help! Installing aftermarket stereo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help! Installing aftermarket stereo

LavJordan

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
So I decided to save a few bucks and hardwire my stereo to my 2001 sport trac, no harness involved. I know its possible, just a bit more of a chore. So I checked some wires with the multi meter, I found my ground. Connected it to the stereo. Then I found two 12volt outputs with the key in acc. and at 0volts with the key in the off position. I connected one of the two 12volt outputs to my stereo and tried turning on. Nothing. Tried the other. Nothing. Checked my fuses, blew a fuse. So I replaced that fuse and tried again. Nothing, when wired to either wire. Checked the fuse again, this time it was good. Confirmed the output with multimeter. Checked the fuse on my stereo (built in fuse), still good. Went to the garage and busted out a identical deck and tried it with that one, still nothing. No other output is at 12volts or close. Some are like 5 or 6 volts. I am at a loss though. Does anyone know of the wiring diagram for my vehicle or maybe could give some helpful advice. I also found another ground wire aswell, so that baffled me a bit to. I just do not know why the stereo wont turn on even with a 12volt input and confirmed ground.

I wired my own stereo in my 2002 ST ... went to crutchfield.ca (im from canada) and bought the entire kit ( wiring diagrams and wiring harnesses) at a very reasonable price... never had a problem with the harness at all... you might want to consider returning your stereo and just pick up the harness as well
If you're deadset on hard wiring it you can always check out mysporttrac.com they might have something under the projects section

Back