Need Help Installing New Stereo on 95 Explorer w/ JBL Premium Sound System | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help Installing New Stereo on 95 Explorer w/ JBL Premium Sound System

arduinoma

Reaction score
City, State
ardyduh1manparty@yahoo.com
Year, Model & Trim Level
ardyduh1manparty@yahoo.co
I'm trying to install a new $100 sony stereo hu on my 1995 Explorer Expedition model, but I have been running into endless problems since it has a JBL premium sound system installed in it. I have searched all over the web and through this forum looking for a correct wiring diagram to explain the wires, but the colors do not match anything I've found. I ended up buying a PAC ROEM-FRD2 integration kit ( http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11160_PAC-ROEM-FRD2.html ) for about $40 to end my troubles, but the 16-pin harness in the car does not mate with the 16-pin harness of the integration unit. The 8-pin unit connects fine. I'm assuming the 8 wires of the 16-pin harness go to the speakers, but I do not know which is which since I cannot find a diagram explaining the colors. I have drawn a schematic of the colors of the wires that are in my car's 16-pin harness ( http://postimage.org/image/1r5aqhjms/ ). Since the harnesses do not mate, I plan to just splice the wires, and hopefully it works. So if anyone can shed some light on which wire goes to which speaker, or has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ah okay yes, I had stumbled across this schematic before and all the colors match for the "front control unit". According to this diagram though, neither of the harnesses contain any speaker wires...I figured that the 16-pin harness would contain these, but according to the schematic it's just for the cassette player on the old stereo, so I do not even need them. Do you know how I am to connect the speaker wires to the integration unit? They appear to be MIA... I connected the 8-pin harness and powered up the system and it gets power and the antenna works correctly, I'm just not getting any sound (since the speaker wires aren't connected).

Does this mean I have to run speaker wire from the dash to the amp, which is located in the very back of the car?

If you don't have a factory subwoofer.......

Just run new speaker wires. The old stock wires are small guage, and well...old.

Your new HU most likely has just as much power as the stock amp does.

If you do have a stock subwoofer....

There is a special harness for the new HU, (not typically found on the shelves anywhere), that makes the install a breeze, and I got mine from the installers at Best Buy. I had to actually go back and talk to them, as the front sales guys don't have a clue. There is even a amp bypass harness you can use that allows you to use the stock speaker wires. I also got that from the installers.

I refuse to buy anything more. I've already spent more than I wanted to on this and the integration unit I bought for $50 was supposed to take care of all that, and it hasn't really done **** except save me 10 minutes of splicing the power wires...
I think I am going to try accessing the speaker wires from the center console where they go into the old CD changer and run wire from there up into the dash where the HU goes. If that doesn't work, then I'll be damned.

I looks like this would work, right? Here's my suggested solution. ( http://postimage.org/image/1lsurwa9w/ ) Splice the highlighted wires at the old CD changer, and run them up into the dash to the HU.

Didn't work. Whoever designed that sound system sucks. Impossible to mod anything on it. Ended up just installing my own system and it sounds 10x better than the JBL did...

i wish i could of read this sooner for some reason i didnt even bother..all you would of needed is a test light
:D

or go to the12volt.com

go to ebay and search metra 705601 thats what u need. its like 40 bucks though. plug and play no cutting and splicing. it will give u an antenna wire also as your stock headunit doesnt have it

go to ebay and search metra 705601 thats what u need. its like 40 bucks though. plug and play no cutting and splicing. it will give u an antenna wire also as your stock headunit doesnt have it

This is the harness I need for the jbl system to hook up an aftermarket hu?

Back