Need help pricing a transmission for a 99 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help pricing a transmission for a 99 Sport

dlcwgrl

Reaction score
City, State
Silver Spring, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport
I have about 145,000 miles on my Explorer and my transmission is shot. The Ford dealership in my area has quoted me a price of $22-2700 rebuilt or $3100 new. Is this a good price - do most people pay up front. How long does it take for the work to be done. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

hello fellow marylander!
just throwing this option out on the table if you have the guts, the means, and a few helping hands...

another option is you can tackle a transmission swap yourself.. it takes a few days for the swap and a rebuilt transmission will cost you between $800 to just a bit over $1k.

if you chose the dealer approach, then it will prob. take them about a week.. this all depends on how busy the dealer's shop is.

those prices sound about right... i know its always a shock to see so many numbers when they give you a quote :eek:

Is your trans burned up, or working very poorly? If it was driven until it burned itself up, then you should consider changing the trans. Check around for a decent replacement, not burned up. Find that, and have it rebuilt and installed.

Depending on how much debris is in your transmission lines, you might be wise to also replace the radiator. Forget flushing, that doesn't always work. It doesn't take much left over debris to ruin any new transmission. Install an inline filter($15) which good trans parts stores should carry. Good luck,
Don

Back