• Register Today It's free!

Need help with 02 power windows

wn556

Reaction score
City, State
Evansville, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I parked my 02x at work this morning and left the drivers side window down. when i went to leave i turn on the A/C and went to roll up my window, but it didn't move. I checked all the switches and none of my windows would work. I've check all the fuses under the hood, none bad, and looked through the owner's manual to find a "power window" fuse location, but no luck. Does anyone have any suggestion before I have to pull all the fuses out of the panel under the dash,that is really hard for a fat guy to get too? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a great link for troubleshooting the power windows, thanks to theofam for this great link Dead Link Removed

The problem may be broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. This is a common problem as there are many threads about this.

Here is a great thread for removing the door panel, thanks to borland for the awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249253

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

I will check my owner's manual and post fuse information later today. Hope this helps out! :salute:

I had the same problem, broken wire...

Open the driver side door and you will see a black accordian-like rubber boot running between the door and the firewall/chassis.

Pull the end of the boot from the driver side out of the door and towards the firewall/chassis side - i.e. - collapse the boot to expose the wiring harness inside

Look for a thick light black and blue wire that should be severed/frayed/cut somewhere in the middle. Find the other end coming from the firewall/chassis side and pull on it gently but firmly to give yourself some more wire to work with. Strip and bind the wires back together with a wirenut or electrical tape

Notes - I think I saw another (thinner) black/blue wire also, but that was not the problem. It's a tricky fix if you have big hands, a lady friend assisted me when neccesary. In some cases it takes one person to hold the boot back while the other person makes the repair. Enjoy the fresh air once again!

Open the driver side door and you will see a black accordian-like rubber boot running between the door and the firewall/chassis.

Pull the end of the boot from the driver side out of the door and towards the firewall/chassis side - i.e. - collapse the boot to expose the wiring harness inside

Look for a thick light black and blue wire that should be severed/frayed/cut somewhere in the middle. Find the other end coming from the firewall/chassis side and pull on it gently but firmly to give yourself some more wire to work with. Strip and bind the wires back together with a wirenut or electrical tape

Notes - I think I saw another (thinner) black/blue wire also, but that was not the problem. It's a tricky fix if you have big hands, a lady friend assisted me when neccesary. In some cases it takes one person to hold the boot back while the other person makes the repair. Enjoy the fresh air once again!

yup I had the same prob w/my '02. It was just the light blue wire severed at the hinge of the drivers door. Fixed it w/a $2 butt splice and a pair of crimps. (If there isn't enough slack in the wire after you strip 1/4" ... then you may want to get a 4-6" scrap piece of wire to put in the middle)

you might have to check the fuses under the dash, trust me i have the same problem as you with the fat guy part. but we had a jeep grand cherokee and the same happened to us. it turned out it was the fuses under the dash

Back