Need help with 98 Ranger VSS issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with 98 Ranger VSS issue

B4CTROOPER

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin Square, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4dr XLS
My brother just bought a 98 Ranger 4X4 3.0L auto. Appears to have only rear ABS. I've fixed a bunch of issues with the help of the search feature on this site. Now, on to the problem I need help figuring out.
I pulled a Vehicle Speed Sensor code from the computer. The check engine light is on, abs light, and the transmission shifts are way off. The speedo and odometer don't work, cruise control also does not work. I tested the VSS in the rear diff, and it ohmed out at infinity. Changed the sensor, the ABS light shut off right away. Check engine light still comes on for the VSS, speedo still does not work, and when I hook my scanner to it, the Vehicle speed reads 0 when moving.
I know the gray and black wire carries the signal from the ABS module to the PCM. I wanted to make sure the wire was good, but cannot locate the ABS module. Anyone know where it is in the truck? Also, any suggestions for further diagnosis?

4x4's usually have 4 Wheel ABS. The 4WABS Module is underhood, driver side, attached to the 4WABS pump.

If your truck has Rear ABS only instead, the gray/black comes from the GEM in the dash.

Regardless of which module does the VSS conversion, the color codes from the axle sensor are light green/black and red/pink.

Check dash fuse 14.

Finally got a chance to look at the truck today. After checking continuity at the GEM Module and finding the gy/bk wire good, I moved the truck and the speedo worked! Might be a bad connection I just have to check out. Thanks for the advice!

Back