Need Ideas on why '02 Expl is overheating | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Ideas on why '02 Expl is overheating

The hills aren't that big, but you could be right. Still the previous owner said he put the new electric fan on so that it would stay cooler. Is there a sensor that could impact the proper cooling? I've thought about a blockage as well, but that doesn't explain why it doesn't overheat all the time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wanted to update you guys on how I fixed the overheating problem. I bought a new water pump and radiator. Planned on replacing both items at the same time. Dove into the project without a manual. Managed to get the radiator out and decided to take a chance and not do the water pump (hope I don't regret it in a couple thousand miles). Anyway, I replaced the radiator with an OEM one from 1-800radiator for $180. This fixed the problem. Temp guage stays right in the middle even when it's 100 degrees.

John

This seems to be the most informative thread so I just wanted to reply on here and maybe get some help.

My 03 V6 Explorer has the check gauge icon light up, and I see its the temp gauge going up up and away to red.

This is while I'm moving.

However just on idle its fine, but it climbs as i start driving.

Does this pin point to a more direct problem? Where should I start

This seems to be the most informative thread so I just wanted to reply on here and maybe get some help.

My 03 V6 Explorer has the check gauge icon light up, and I see its the temp gauge going up up and away to red.

This is while I'm moving.

However just on idle its fine, but it climbs as i start driving.

Does this pin point to a more direct problem? Where should I start

So you are saying that you could start your ex, let it sit at idle for an hour or more without it overheating. But if you were to put it into gear and cruise at 60mph(if you can get there before overheating) you'll overheat?

Hmmmm, maybe a faulty temp sending unit? Sounds kinda weird, I'd figure it to be the other way around.

Limited02 thanks for the quick reply.

Yes its weird, temp will go down when idle, but will raise when driving.

There is plenty of coolant in the overflow bottle.

Is the temp sensor sending unit easy area to get to?

my jeep would do something similar, I had to replace the radiator to fix it.
The gage would be a cheap test, otherwise i want to confirm the temp is correct, using some external thermometer.

The jeep rad was fairly clogged up, both inside and out. Another idea is maybe the water pump is faulty too, at idle it works just enough but once you get going it doesn't pump as much as it should.

Back