Need paint advise!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need paint advise!!!

Some idiot hit me yesterday, killing my rear passenger side door. Well, I found a good door shell and a guy to paint it. But, the factory black paint on the truck is typical Ford paint- POS! I can see primer in the hood and on the doors, so I might as well paint the whole thing. What paint do you paint buffs recommend? I heard Imron 5000 is good, and so is DuPont Base 2-stage something or another- but that is from a paint salesman- $240.00 for it. I'm going to paint the truck the exact factory color, and make it look nice. I don't want to show it and the truck is all factory, I just believe in having clean, well-maintained cars. Input, please..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Too bad about the accident, but at least he only got the door. I agree with you about the "clean and well maintained" bit. I would also put the stock color back on, which is a base/clearcoat system. It may cost slightly more than a single stage, but it shouldn't fade and takes minimum upkeep.

DuPont is good, as are most of the other brands. I would go with what your paint man recommends. He probably has a brand that he likes to use and is familiar with.

New paint is almost like getting a new truck. Good luck with it.

I hear PPG is an easy spray.

i agree, go with what your paint guy says... sak for references of his work..if he is apprehensive, find another paint guy... Dupont and PPG are good paints to use in the automotive perspective

i have used PPG before, and its a good "dummy" paint. lays down real nice, even when you spray in the garage.:D

Since you have a "BLACK" Explorer you don't really need to do the base coat-clear coat. You can save money and use DuPont's Chroma One paint and we have found it is a good paint.....

painter

Go with dupont with outa doubt. I am currently in a tech school for auto body work i may only be 16 but i have picked up alot in the last year.
Dupont Basemaker for the base coat and dupont premier fro the clear. Of course im not a technician yet so ask ur body shop but trust me a bit those as a combo work good :mattmoon: : it sprays better tha ppg

in my last post i ment to say basemaker for the primer and dupont chroma base for color and dupont premier fro clear SORRY

Back