• Register Today It's free!

need pic of nerf bar install

RYMELPIE

Reaction score
City, State
SALEM, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I have a 1993 x and am trying to put better built side steps on it. I am running into a few problems.

1st mounting to the body mount under the front seats

2nd monting of the rear bracket and bar together, there is no room for any type of tool.

also i have a 3inch body lift if that matters

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check it out-

sorry man- i have no pic. however, i have the experience with these particluar nerf bars. before my 98 that i have now, i had a 93. i bought the better built nefr bars on ebay. when they came i installed all the bracketry just to find out they sent me 2 os the passenger side front bracket, and the incorrect "washer" size.:nono: i had to send it back to the company and get another set shipped to me. so first off, read the directions and check the measurements of what the directions say for the parts you should have.

OK- as far as the intall, you have 4 brackets- one for each side of the rear, and one for each side of the front. let's talk about the rear first. it's a squarish looking thing, and you can see the horshoe shaped cutous and the hole where the bolts go through. if you look where your leaf spring connects to the frame, hold up the bracket to compare- you have to loosen the factory bolts enough to slide the braket in there. then you retighten the bolts. it took me a good amount of time of fidgeting and banging to get the bracket in there, but it's better to do that then have to take the whole leaf spring mounts apart!

now the front- under the car, you will see a few body mounts (they come off the side of the frame and have 2 big cylindrical rubber bushings with leftover bolt threading sticking out the bottom). hold the nerf bar up to the side of your truck in proportion to where the rear bracket is, and you can tell which body mount bolt you'll be using. the front brackets will mount as follows- you should have the bracket, a thick "washer" or let's call it a spacer (looks like a sawed off piece of metal pipe) and then a nut and washers. clean the rust and dirt etc. out of the threads of the bottom of the body mount bolt. slide the spacer up against the bottom bushing with one hand, then put the bolt through the hole in the smaller side of the bracket (the larger side with the hole for the nerf bar should be outward, facing the side of your car you are mounting it on). now keep pressure on the bracket to hold it and the spacer on, then put the nut and washers on to the body mount bolt. LEAVE IT LOOSE!

now use someting to hold the nerf bar at the height off the ground that it will be at once mounted. bolt it onto the brackets using the supplied bolts. once you'd done that, tighten up the brackets.

i hope that helped you- you'll get it once you check out under your car, and make sure you've got the right pieces. good luck!

Eric

PS-

as far as mounting the bar to the rear bracket- use an open ended wrench. it will be tricky, but it's do-able. just use one hand to kinda thread it in a little then use the wrench in the other hand while holding the bolt to get it in there.

Eric

front bracket

which way does the front bracket mount?

does it mount with the long side hanging down so the bar goes through the circle hole?

or does it mount with the oval hole being the one the bar mounts two

It mounts with the long side hanging down, mounting the bar through the circle hole.

Eric

Thanks I Can Defy

I got them on this morning now i just have to wait till monday to take them down to a friend with air tools to tighten them down

Back