Need rear leaf spring bushings but the chassis part. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need rear leaf spring bushings but the chassis part.

BadaBingM3

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4WD 2DR Explorer
So looking through most of the threads and lots of google searching, only bushings I can find are for the leaf springs itself. I have new springs and the drivers side rear leaf spring bushing is working itself out of place due to that the rear hanger is offset due to the upper chassis bushing has worked itself out of place and alignment with its hole. So with driving, the action of the leaf spring has slowly twisted and turned the bushing out of place on the leaf spring knuckle and the leaf spring is partially on the bolt as the bolt is supporting the weight half way on the bushing, the other end is partially out. Sorry no picture to describe but you can just imagine the rear hanger is offset and the bushing of the leaf spring knuckle is partially half way out and stopped by the inner part of the hanger. I'm afraid sooner or later the bolt can snap due to holding part of the weight off the bushing. Anyway, to fix, I need to replace the OEM bushing that is up in the chassis where the hanger hangs from. Where can I find them? Part number? I really don't need to buy an entire kit do I? Thanks!

RB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ah thanks man. I'll try to get in contact. But 94 should be the same I believe?

I'm not sure, there are several sets listed as being for a 91-94, but I did not see any for the 99'. I know the 91-94 and 95-99 have different leaf springs, but the only difference is the bushings. The second generation Explorer has smaller outer diameter bushings, but the leaf springs are interchangeable. I have 99 leaf springs on mine. I have been thinking the shimmy I get sometimes from the rear axle is due to worn shackle bushings. Might pick myself up a set.

Sure would smooth out the ride. I think my ride is fine for the most part except that leaf spring bushing being half way out. I'd hate to tear into it and find out the damn bushings don't fit. I'll probably hit up a local Ford dealer and get ripped off first. lol! But at least have the right bushings. My leaf springs are pretty new and are after market (I can't remember which but have a 1,500 lbs load capacity) I think I got them of Caridautoparts.com and those bushings are pretty knew. Sway bar bushings in the back are old but doubt it's causing any problems for now. But since I'm down there, might as well replace them all. Thanks and good luck.

Back